What is the function of a thistle tube in a laboratory setting?

• Thread starter apchemstudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laboratory
In summary, a retort is used for distillation, a pinchcock is used to regulate or close a flexible tube, a stopcock is a valve that regulates fluid flow, and a thistle tube is a thin tube with a larger bulb at one end. The answer to the question is the pinchcock, which can introduce more liquid into a reaction and also serve as a pressure valve. To learn more about laboratory apparatus, one can use dictionaries, scientific encyclopedias, or online resources such as IUPAC or Vogel's "Practical Organic Chemistry."
apchemstudent
What piece of apparatus can be used to introduce more liquid into a reaction and also serve as a pressure valve?

a)stopcock
b)pinchcock
c)thistle tube
d)retort

I'm guessing it's the retort. Am I correct? If not can you tell me which one. Thnks...

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You might want to check the definitions of these articles.

A retort is simply a vessel with an outlet tube, typically used for distillation, sublimation, or decomposition by heat.

A pinchcock is a clamp used to regulate or close a flexible tube, especially in laboratory apparatus.

A stopcock is a valve that regulates the flow of fluid through a pipe, but it does so by being rotated to open and closed, so doesn't regulate pressure very well.

A thistle tube is simply a thin tube usually with a larger diameter bulb at one end.

Astronuc said:
You might want to check the definitions of these articles.

A retort is simply a vessel with an outlet tube, typically used for distillation, sublimation, or decomposition by heat.

A pinchcock is a clamp used to regulate or close a flexible tube, especially in laboratory apparatus.

A stopcock is a valve that regulates the flow of fluid through a pipe, but it does so by being rotated to open and closed, so doesn't regulate pressure very well.

A thistle tube is simply a thin tube usually with a larger diameter bulb at one end.

Thanks, how do find out about these stuff? So i guess the answer is the pinchcock then?

Chemistry resources

Well, I did chemistry a long time ago, so I am somewhat familiar with laboratory apparata (and I had my own chemistry set), and

one can use hard-copy or on-line dictionaries (e.g. www.dictionary.com), or scientific encyclopedias, and if either of those don't work, I just use google and search for key works, like the names of objects you mentioned, which in the case of the thistle tube, lead me to a manufacturer of glass-ware.

Also, IUPAC - International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry - ( http://www.iupac.org/index_to.html ) has on-line resources.

Best wishes in your studies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look for Vogel's "Practical Organic chemistry" I downloaded it using Lizard tech deje-vu as a reader. I found that there is an Adobe version also. If I can locate the link I will post it. It has a great wealth of lab set-up information along with diagrams of the apparatus.

In another thread you posted a question about the Thistletube. Perhaps you need to review the lab appartus you described in that question, and ask yourself what is the purpose of the Thistletube.

Integral said:
In another thread you posted a question about the Thistletube. Perhaps you need to review the lab appartus you described in that question, and ask yourself what is the purpose of the Thistletube.

The problem is I DIDN'T know what the purpose of the thistletube was... my teacher does not do lab work with apparatuses such as that and pinchcock... In fact we only do at most 20-30% of the lab works needed for the exam.
And besides, i posted this question up before the other one. O ya, and thanks for your reply integral, i think i understand it now.

Last edited:

1. What is a laboratory apparatus?

A laboratory apparatus is a tool or instrument that is used in a laboratory setting to perform experiments, measure and collect data, or carry out other scientific procedures.

2. What are the different types of laboratory apparatus?

There are many different types of laboratory apparatus, including beakers, test tubes, pipettes, Bunsen burners, and microscopes. These tools serve different purposes and are used in various experiments and procedures.

3. How do I choose the right laboratory apparatus for my experiment?

Choosing the right laboratory apparatus depends on the specific experiment or procedure you are conducting. Consider the type of data you need to collect, the quantity of materials you are working with, and any safety precautions that may be necessary.

4. How do I properly use and maintain laboratory apparatus?

Properly using and maintaining laboratory apparatus is essential for accurate and safe experimentation. Always follow the instructions provided by your instructor or the manufacturer, and clean and store the apparatus properly after use to ensure its longevity.

5. Where can I purchase laboratory apparatus?

Laboratory apparatus can be purchased from scientific supply companies, educational supply stores, and online retailers. Be sure to research the quality and reputation of the supplier before making a purchase.