How Do You Calculate Uncertainty in Mean Difference?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the uncertainty of the mean difference and how to calculate it. The equations and rules for uncertainty are discussed, including the addition/subtraction and division/multiplication rules. It is mentioned that the uncertainties should be added in quadrature to account for correlations. However, in some cases, a linear addition may be used as a worst case estimate.
selsunblue

Homework Statement

321321.png

Homework Equations

Mean difference and SEM

The Attempt at a Solution

Would the mean difference be 0.16?. I'm not sure about the answer because they give that much working space, Do I have to find the uncertainty of the difference first and then my answer implement that into my answer to be 0.16 +- (uncertainty)?. How would I calculate the uncertainty of the mean difference? Do I just add the SEM's for both means?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Would the mean difference be 0.16?
Sure. The large working space is a bit odd.
Do I have to find the uncertainty of the difference first and then my answer implement that into my answer to be 0.16 +- (uncertainty)?
That is part (ii).
How would I calculate the uncertainty of the mean difference? Do I just add the SEM's for both means?
No. Use the method (hopefully) described in section 1.5.

selsunblue said:
Do I just add the SEM's for both means?

Here are the basic rules for uncertainty:

Addition/Subtraction
$$(A ± ΔA) + (B ± ΔB) = (A+B) ± (ΔA+ΔB)$$
$$(A ± ΔA) - (B ± ΔB) = (A-B) ± (ΔA+ΔB)$$

When dividing and multiplying, changing to relative uncertainty, then converting back simplifies things.
where: $$ε = \frac{ΔA}{A}*100$$ 'relative uncertainty'

$$(A ± ΔA) / (B ± ΔB) = (A/B) ± (ε_A+ε_B)$$
$$(A ± ΔA)(B ± ΔB) = (AB) ± (ε_A+ε_B)$$

Then you can convert back to abs. uncertainty.

vanceEE said:
Here are the basic rules for uncertainty:

Addition/Subtraction
$$(A ± ΔA) + (B ± ΔB) = (A+B) ± (ΔA+ΔB)$$
$$(A ± ΔA) - (B ± ΔB) = (A-B) ± (ΔA+ΔB)$$
Are you sure? I believe the uncertainties should not simply be added, but added in quadrature. That is, if
[tex]x = au \pm bv, [/tex]
then
[tex]\sigma_x^2 = a^2 \sigma_u^2 + b^2 \sigma_v^2.[/tex]
This comes from the basic definition: If [itex]x[/itex] is a function of measured variables [itex]u, v, \ldots[/itex],
[tex]x = f(u, v, \ldots),[/tex]
then,
[tex]\sigma_x^2 \approx \sigma_u^2 \left ( \frac{\partial x}{\partial u}
\right )^2 + \sigma_v^2 \left ( \frac{\partial x}{\partial v} \right )^2 + \ldots \;.[/tex]

I did not check your other equations.

Yes, in general the uncertainties should be added in quadrature, if correlations are not important.

A linear addition is sometimes used as worst case estimate to include possible correlations between the uncertainties. We take the difference between measured heights here - there is no way the uncertainties could be correlated "the wrong way" (e. g. a systematic deviation towards larger men and smaller women at the same time).

1. What is uncertainty in laboratory physics?

Uncertainty in laboratory physics refers to the amount of doubt or error in a measurement or calculation. It is a measure of the precision and accuracy of a result, and is often represented by a margin of error or a range of values.

2. How is uncertainty calculated in laboratory physics?

Uncertainty is typically calculated by taking the standard deviation of a set of measurements and dividing it by the mean value. This results in a percentage uncertainty, which can then be used to determine the margin of error for a given measurement.

3. Why is uncertainty important in laboratory physics?

Uncertainty is important in laboratory physics because it allows scientists to understand the limitations of their measurements and results. It helps to determine the reliability and accuracy of data, and allows for comparisons between different experiments or theories.

4. How does uncertainty affect the results of a laboratory physics experiment?

Uncertainty can affect the results of a laboratory physics experiment by introducing a margin of error or range of values for a measurement. This means that the true value may fall within this range, and the uncertainty must be considered when interpreting the results.

5. What are some common sources of uncertainty in laboratory physics?

Common sources of uncertainty in laboratory physics include instrument limitations, human error, and environmental factors. The precision and accuracy of instruments, the experimenter's technique, and external conditions such as temperature or humidity can all contribute to uncertainty in measurements.