1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laboratory physics question on uncertainty

1. May 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

321321.png

2. Relevant equations

Mean difference and SEM

3. The attempt at a solution

Would the mean difference be 0.16?. I'm not sure about the answer because they give that much working space, Do I have to find the uncertainty of the difference first and then my answer implement that into my answer to be 0.16 +- (uncertainty)?. How would I calculate the uncertainty of the mean difference? Do I just add the SEM's for both means?

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Sure. The large working space is a bit odd.
    That is part (ii).
    No. Use the method (hopefully) described in section 1.5.

4. May 11, 2014 #3
    Here are the basic rules for uncertainty:

Addition/Subtraction
    $$(A ± ΔA) + (B ± ΔB) = (A+B) ± (ΔA+ΔB)$$
    $$(A ± ΔA) - (B ± ΔB) = (A-B) ± (ΔA+ΔB)$$

When dividing and multiplying, changing to relative uncertainty, then converting back simplifies things.
    where: $$ε = \frac{ΔA}{A}*100$$ 'relative uncertainty'

$$(A ± ΔA) / (B ± ΔB) = (A/B) ± (ε_A+ε_B)$$
    $$(A ± ΔA)(B ± ΔB) = (AB) ± (ε_A+ε_B)$$

Then you can convert back to abs. uncertainty.

5. May 11, 2014 #4

tms

Are you sure? I believe the uncertainties should not simply be added, but added in quadrature. That is, if
    [tex]x = au \pm bv, [/tex]
    then
    [tex]\sigma_x^2 = a^2 \sigma_u^2 + b^2 \sigma_v^2.[/tex]
    This comes from the basic definition: If [itex]x[/itex] is a function of measured variables [itex]u, v, \ldots[/itex],
    [tex]x = f(u, v, \ldots),[/tex]
    then,
    [tex]\sigma_x^2 \approx \sigma_u^2 \left ( \frac{\partial x}{\partial u}
    \right )^2 + \sigma_v^2 \left ( \frac{\partial x}{\partial v} \right )^2 + \ldots \;.[/tex]

I did not check your other equations.

6. May 12, 2014 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Yes, in general the uncertainties should be added in quadrature, if correlations are not important.

A linear addition is sometimes used as worst case estimate to include possible correlations between the uncertainties. We take the difference between measured heights here - there is no way the uncertainties could be correlated "the wrong way" (e. g. a systematic deviation towards larger men and smaller women at the same time).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted