Interesting dog breed Labradoodles

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, when bred together, Labradors and Poodles create a dog that is friendly and does not shed. There are other types of mixed breed dogs that have been created as well, such as the Potbull.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What do you get when you breed Labradors with poodles?

Labradoodles

The smart, friendly dogs, which do not shed, hold promise as future service dogs in Hawaii [continued]

http://starbulletin.com/2004/06/28/news/story6.html

How about a Doberman Chihuahua, or a Pekingese Mastiff?

another interesting fact:
Dogs and chocolate
Chocolate in sufficient doses is lethally toxic to dogs (and, for that matter, to horses) and should never be fed to them. This is because chocolate contains theobromine, a chemical stimulant which, together with caffeine and Theophylline, belongs to the group of Methylxanthines. Dogs are unable to metabolize theobromine effectively. If they eat chocolate, the theobromine can remain in their bloodstream for up to 20 hours, and these animals may experience racing heartbeats, hallucinations, severe diarrhea, epileptic seizures, heart attacks, internal bleeding, and eventually death. A chocolate candy bar can be sufficient to make a small dog extremely ill or even kill it. In case of accidental intake of chocolate by a dog, contact a veterinarian or animal poison control immediately; it is commonly recommended to induce vomiting within two hours of ingestion. (Note that carob treats are often available as dog treats; these are unrelated to chocolate and are safe treats).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog#Dog_breeds

Physics news on Phys.org
I would have called them Poobradors.

Poobradors has a much better ring to it :rofl:

Evo said:
I would have called them Poobradors.

I think that's the Spanish version.

What about a Great Dane-Jack Russel. One annoying yappy bugger dog that you WOULDNT mess with.

:devil: Or Tsu's avatar crossed with a rottweiler :surprise: :surprise:

Maybe the poobradors are the other half of the litter, the ones that are high strung and shed everywhere! I think the more correct term is mutt. Though, there supposedly is an actual naming convention when different species are crossed that has to do with the first half of the name being assigned to...I think the mother...and then the second part from the father (or vice versa...I don't even know where to begin looking up that information anymore). So, a Liger would be a lion mother and a tiger dad, while a Tigon would be a tiger mom and a lion dad. And why anybody would want a Tigon or Liger, I don't know.

Moonbear said:
Maybe the poobradors are the other half of the litter, the ones that are high strung and shed everywhere!
Oh yeah, those would be the ones I would end up with. :grumpy:

The mixed breed dogs are locally known as Potlickers. When crossed with a Pitbull I refer to the offspring as Potbull :approve: (suppose could also be a Bull-licker, but this leaves bad taste in mouth). :tongue2: :biggrin:

1. What is a Labradoodle?

A Labradoodle is a crossbreed between a Labrador Retriever and a Poodle. They were originally bred to create a hypoallergenic guide dog, but have gained popularity as family pets due to their friendly and intelligent nature.

2. Are Labradoodles hypoallergenic?

While Labradoodles are often marketed as hypoallergenic, this is not always the case. As they are a mixed breed, their coat can vary and some may still shed and trigger allergies. It is important to spend time with the specific dog you are interested in before making a decision.

3. Do Labradoodles make good family pets?

Yes, Labradoodles are known for being friendly and gentle with children. They are also highly trainable and make great companions for both families and individuals.

4. How big do Labradoodles get?

The size of a Labradoodle can vary depending on the size of the Poodle parent. Generally, they can range from 15 to 24 inches in height and weigh between 15 to 65 pounds.

5. What is the lifespan of a Labradoodle?

The average lifespan of a Labradoodle is 12 to 14 years. However, with proper care and nutrition, they can live up to 15 years or more.