1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Labs In Houston

1. Aug 23, 2006 #1
    I live in Houston and want to know where the labs are in Houston. There are labs in The Medical Center and NASA but I'm looking for physics.

Are there any particle accelerators in Houston. Like Rice University, they have an atom smasher? I know we have alo of technology in Austin and Dallas but are we known for Science in Houston?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2006 #2
    I don't know but I can ask my future father in law, he used to be a physics professor at Texas Tech and was hoping to work at the supercollider in Dallas before it was scrapped. I live in Houston now and he's lived here for 30+ years but he came to work for a NASA contractor for much of that time when the aforementioned accelerator was axed and did more engineering than physics. I would imagine he looked into other physics possibilities when he came here but I don't know that he found much, although I doubt he's looked into it much in the last 10-15 years.

4. Aug 24, 2006 #3
    There are labs in Houston (metro). Two universities: Rice and UofH
    (as for particle accelerators, I can't think of any). There are a large number of chemical companies and energy companies (Exxon, Lyondell, Dow, Sabic, Connoco, etc) that have research labs in Houston (metro). I can also say that oil&gas exploration/equipment companies hire physics researchers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?