Discover Houston's Top Labs for Physics: From The Medical Center to NASA

• Thread starter Line
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Labs
In summary, there are labs in The Medical Center and NASA in Houston, but the speaker is specifically looking for physics labs. They ask if there are any particle accelerators in Houston, like the one at Rice University, and questions if Houston is known for science. The speaker mentions their future father-in-law who used to be a physics professor and worked at a supercollider in Dallas before it was scrapped. They mention that there are two universities in Houston with labs, Rice and UofH, but they are unsure of any particle accelerators. The speaker notes that there are many chemical and energy companies with research labs in Houston, and that oil and gas exploration companies also hire physics researchers.
Line
I live in Houston and want to know where the labs are in Houston. There are labs in The Medical Center and NASA but I'm looking for physics.

Are there any particle accelerators in Houston. Like Rice University, they have an atom smasher? I know we have alo of technology in Austin and Dallas but are we known for Science in Houston?

Physics news on Phys.org
Line said:
I live in Houston and want to know where the labs are in Houston. There are labs in The Medical Center and NASA but I'm looking for physics.

Are there any particle accelerators in Houston. Like Rice University, they have an atom smasher? I know we have alo of technology in Austin and Dallas but are we known for Science in Houston?

I don't know but I can ask my future father in law, he used to be a physics professor at Texas Tech and was hoping to work at the supercollider in Dallas before it was scrapped. I live in Houston now and he's lived here for 30+ years but he came to work for a NASA contractor for much of that time when the aforementioned accelerator was axed and did more engineering than physics. I would imagine he looked into other physics possibilities when he came here but I don't know that he found much, although I doubt he's looked into it much in the last 10-15 years.

There are labs in Houston (metro). Two universities: Rice and UofH
(as for particle accelerators, I can't think of any). There are a large number of chemical companies and energy companies (Exxon, Lyondell, Dow, Sabic, Connoco, etc) that have research labs in Houston (metro). I can also say that oil&gas exploration/equipment companies hire physics researchers.

1. What are some of the top labs for physics in Houston?

Some of the top labs for physics in Houston include the Texas Medical Center, Rice University, University of Houston, NASA's Johnson Space Center, and the Center for Advanced Computing and Data Systems at the University of Houston.

2. What types of research are being conducted at these labs?

The labs in Houston are conducting research in a variety of areas, including medical physics, astrophysics, quantum physics, materials science, and space exploration.

3. How can I visit these labs and learn more about their research?

Many of these labs offer tours and open houses for the public to visit and learn more about their research. You can also contact the labs directly to inquire about opportunities for shadowing or volunteering.

4. What makes these labs stand out in terms of their contributions to the field of physics?

These labs are home to some of the most cutting-edge technology and equipment, as well as renowned researchers and scientists. They also have strong partnerships and collaborations with other institutions and organizations, allowing for groundbreaking research and discoveries.

5. Are there opportunities for students to get involved in research at these labs?

Yes, many of these labs offer internships, fellowships, and research assistant positions for undergraduate and graduate students. These opportunities provide hands-on experience and the chance to work on groundbreaking research projects.