LabView Opinion: Good and Bad Points & Widespread Use

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, the group generally has a positive opinion on LabView, as it is widely used and makes data acquisition easier. However, some members have concerns about the code being difficult to modify and potentially causing a lack of attention to detail in experiments.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'd like to know this group's opinion on LabView. Our lab uses it and I have an opportunity to learn how to use it for data acquisition.

What are the good / bad points? Is it widely used?

I used to do a bit of programming (C, VB), but that was many years ago.

Technology news on Phys.org
The issue I have with it is that many programmers tend not to put enough expalaination in there codes to enable someone else to modify it later (but we can say that for all codes). My other issue is that it tends to look like spaghetti code when it gets long.

We use it extensively in our labs and am very happy with it.

Thanks!

Labview is fantastic, but it tends to make you lazy because it makes a lot of things so easy :). If you can afford it - use it! But, as noted above, don't let it make you a sloppy experimentalist.

What is LabView?

LabView is a visual programming language and development environment used for creating data acquisition, instrument control, and industrial automation applications.

What are the good points of LabView?

Some of the good points of LabView include its user-friendly graphical interface, its wide range of applications in various industries, its ability to integrate with different hardware and software, and its extensive library of pre-made functions and tools.

What are the bad points of LabView?

Some of the bad points of LabView include its high cost, its steep learning curve for beginners, its limited support for certain programming languages, and its tendency to have longer development times compared to traditional text-based programming languages.

Why is LabView so widely used?

LabView is widely used due to its versatility and ease of use. It can be used in various industries such as engineering, research, and education, and can be easily adapted to different hardware and software platforms. Its visual programming approach also makes it accessible to non-programmers.

Is LabView a suitable tool for scientific research?

Yes, LabView is a suitable tool for scientific research. It offers a wide range of data analysis and visualization tools, as well as the ability to integrate with different sensors and instruments, making it a valuable tool for data acquisition and analysis in various scientific fields.