Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Lack of b12

1. Jan 18, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Would a lack of vitimin b12 and folic acid make some one very tired?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2008 #2
  4. Jan 18, 2008 #3

turbo

Gold Member

With our latitude (very similar), I would also suggest that you get out in the sun for at least 20 minutes a day without lots of clothes on. If you can get sunlight on your face, arms, hands, etc, you may be able to get enough Vitamin D to haul you through the winter. This is a VERY important vitamin. If it's warm enough to get out and do some yard-work on the weekend, or take a walk in the sun on your lunch-breaks, it may be helpful.

5. Jan 18, 2008 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Lol, Forcast rain and more rain, thanks Greg, Turbo.

6. Jan 18, 2008 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

As long as you eat a diet with the recommended amount of meat, you shouldn't be lacking these vitamins. Vegans are the only group I know of that have a diet so deficient in essential nutrients that it is dangerous and they have to take supplements.

When in doubt take a mutli-vitamin pill with at least 100% of the minimum daily requirements.

7. Jan 18, 2008 #6

wolram

Gold Member

The problem is the body does not absorb theese vitamins for some reason, it may be ulcers or some such.

8. Jan 19, 2008 #7

Evo

Is your doctor treating you for this?

9. Jan 19, 2008 #8

wolram

Gold Member

May be in the fullness of time the medical engine will give a diagnosis, mean while i become less and less usefull.

10. Jan 19, 2008 #9

Evo

But your doctor told you that you have a B12 deficiency?

11. Jan 19, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The simple answer is yes. If you are not getting enough in your diet, or are having difficulty absorbing enough from your diet, you can take supplements for both. If the problem is an absorption problem, i.e., you aren't digesting it properly, then a vitamin pill is probably not the ideal way to supplement these vitamins. You can get vitamin B complex as an injection from a doctor in that case. This will help boost energy levels.

12. Jan 20, 2008 #11
    Exhausted, irritable, at times almost unable to fully function. I have pernicious anemia -- a lack of B12 -- and that's caused by not absorbing enough from my food because of a lack of intrinsic factor in my stomach. Insufficient B12 causes your red blood cells to expand and become light pink as they try to absorb enough oxygen to carry around your body. Insufficient B12 messes with your red blood cell production, overall. They don't form properly.

At any rate, get a blood test. It's as simple as that. I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia almost 15 years ago and B12 injections every four weeks changed my life. (I was constantly exhausted as a child, and we never knew why.) Taking oral supplements doesn't help, because, if this is your problem, then your stomach isn't producing the required chemical to properly absorb the B12 oral supplements anyway. After the first few trips to my doctor's for injections, by doctor instructed me on how to do it myself. I've been giving myself regular injections for many years.

But anyway, yes, a quick blood test will answer if that's the issue.

13. Jan 21, 2008 #12
    I believe a lack of b12 and subsequent b12 injections in the buttocks are the misinterpreted actions that have landed Roger Clemens in hot water over steroid use.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?