Help Needed: My System's Slow LAN Speed!

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with their computer's slow LAN speed. They are unsure if the problem is with the LAN chord or the inbuilt LAN card. They mention that most systems in their hostel have a downloading speed of 5 mbps, while theirs is only 500 kbps. They ask for suggestions on how to fix the issue and mention that their computer is only 7-8 months old. Someone suggests checking for security issues or any recent changes that could be causing the problem. The conversation ends with the person thanking everyone for their responses and mentioning that a professional was able to fix the issue.
heman
Hi Guys
Pls help me a bit on this!
I bought a system but the problem which it is experiencing the lack of speed of the LAN!
Well i don't get what exactly is it -
Is the problem with the LAN chord or with the inbuilt LAN Card!
Well most of the systems in the hostel here download with speeds in around 5 mbps and mine one around 500 kbps!
What exactly i will have to do to get the downloading speed back!
I am with all my ears on hearing your valuable suggestion!

Computer science news on Phys.org
How old is your computer? The cable shouldn't be a problem... and even if its an outdated card, it still should provide speeds of about 10mbps

Computer isn't that old!Around 7/8 months !
I am not able to think what can be the problem!

I suppose all decives are showing 'green'? What about security stuff - firewall handicapping the connection, "huge" anti-virus web shield scanning everything and slowing things down or something related? Or anything new in this front (or in the system overall) as of late which could explain the problem (unless it's been there all along of course).

Are you getting a lot of collisions? There should be a light either on the ethernet card or on your router that tells you when packet collisions are happening.

Well i did not got the problem yet,but a professional fixed it,well it was a minor one.
Thanks for your responses guys!

1. What could be causing my system's slow LAN speed?

There are several potential causes for slow LAN (Local Area Network) speed, including network congestion, outdated hardware or software, a faulty network cable or port, or a virus/malware infection. It's important to troubleshoot and eliminate each possibility to identify the root cause.

2. How can I troubleshoot my LAN speed?

To troubleshoot your LAN speed, you can start by checking your network cables and ports for any damage or loose connections. Next, you can run a virus scan on your system to ensure it is not infected. You can also try restarting your router or modem, as well as updating your network drivers and operating system to the latest version.

3. How can I improve my LAN speed?

There are several ways to improve your LAN speed, such as upgrading to a faster router or modem, using a wired connection instead of wireless, updating your network drivers, and optimizing your network settings. Additionally, clearing out any unnecessary files and programs on your system can also help improve overall speed.

4. Why is my LAN speed slower than my internet speed?

Your LAN speed may be slower than your internet speed due to network congestion, outdated hardware or software, or incorrect network settings. It's important to troubleshoot and identify the cause to improve your LAN speed.

5. Can a slow LAN speed affect my overall system performance?

Yes, a slow LAN speed can affect your overall system performance, as it can slow down file transfers, web browsing, and other network-dependent activities. It's important to address any issues with your LAN speed to ensure optimal system performance.