Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lactate - can it be respired?

1. Jun 1, 2008 #1
    Can lactate be respired, or must it first be converted to glucose?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2008 #2
    You're asking whether milk can be inhaled?

4. Jun 12, 2008 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: No. I suspect s/he's asking about the biochemical pathway of respiration starting with the compound lactate.

I'd answer it, but I'd have to first wake up enough to remember those pathways, or move my butt over to where the books are that might contain that information, and I don't think either is happening tonight. I'm sure someone who can rattle off biochemical pathways in their sleep will be along before I get back to this, but if there's no reply by tomorrow, I'll return to help.

5. Jun 13, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...I thought I'd do a quick lookup in my old biochem text and give you an answer, but I'm not sure. Yes, there is a respiratory pathway that works via gluconeogenesis starting from lactate, but there's a paragraph commenting on lactate and "new research" which would now be almost 20 years old (it's an old text) that sounds like there could be some other direct pathway, but I have never had an interest in continuing to follow that literature to help with whether something would have been updated on that or not. So, unfortunately, I'm unable to answer this question and will have to defer to someone with more current knowledge in that topic.

6. Jun 13, 2008 #5
    The OP may want to look into something called the "lactate shuttle" that has been getting a fair bit of play in the exercise science and physiology crowds. I haven't looked into it beyond the occasional press release, but it appears to be a pathway which functions alongside the gluconeogenesis pathway but distinct from it. Apparently some of the lactate does get oxidized further with this process.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?