Ladder Equilibrium: Solving for Forces at Hinged Point?

• Thread starter azwraith69
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the conversation discusses the forces and torques involved in a ladder leaning against a wall. The net force in the y-direction is equal to the normal force exerted by the ground on the ladder minus the weight of the man and the weight of the ladder, plus an unknown force exerted by the hinge. The net force in the x-direction is equal to zero. The hinge is causing difficulty in solving the problem, and it is suggested to choose a pivot point that eliminates the need to consider the forces at the hinge. The correct pivot point is the bottom of the ladder. The normal force exerted by the ground is determined to be 150N.
azwraith69

Homework Statement

see the attachment below...

Homework Equations

net force = 0, net torque = 0
normal force(ground) = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

well, so far,,

net force(y) = normal force(floor) - weight(man) - weight(ladder) + ??(force exerted by hinge?)
net force(x) = 0 ( ?? )

Choosing the bottom of ladder as pivot point,
net torque = weight(ladder) x 2a + weight(man) x a - ??(force by hinge?)

First of all, sorry for not using latex..

The hinge is my problem, since I'm not familiar in solving with it.
What are the forces (and their directions) exerted on the ladder at the hinged point?
I really don't know..

And are my assignment of forces correct?

Thanks in advance..

I NEED THIS AFTER 10 HOURS...
So i have no time to reply, so please, I'm begging, please be direct to the point. And i hope each reply will help me..

Thank you guys..

Attachments

• ladder problem.pdf
    26.4 KB · Views: 258
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Choose a pivot point that eliminates having to know anything about the forces at the hinge.

Doc Al said:
Hint: Choose a pivot point that eliminates having to know anything about the forces at the hinge.

thanks... i overlooked it since i always choose the point of contact with the ground as the pivot..

normal force = 150N ??

:)

You got it. :approve:

What is the Ladder Equilibrium Problem?

The Ladder Equilibrium Problem is a classic physics problem that involves a ladder leaning against a wall and finding the conditions for it to stay in equilibrium without slipping or falling over.

What factors affect the stability of a ladder in the Ladder Equilibrium Problem?

The stability of a ladder in the Ladder Equilibrium Problem is affected by several factors such as the angle of the ladder, the weight of the ladder and the person on it, and the coefficient of friction between the ladder and the ground.

What is the mathematical equation for solving the Ladder Equilibrium Problem?

The mathematical equation for solving the Ladder Equilibrium Problem is based on the principle of moments, which states that the sum of clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of anticlockwise moments for an object to be in equilibrium. This can be expressed as ΣM = 0.

How can the Ladder Equilibrium Problem be applied in real-life situations?

The Ladder Equilibrium Problem can be applied in real-life situations such as construction work, where ladders are commonly used to reach higher areas. Understanding the factors that affect the stability of a ladder can help ensure the safety of workers and prevent accidents.

What are the limitations of the Ladder Equilibrium Problem?

The Ladder Equilibrium Problem assumes that the ladder is a uniform, rigid object and does not take into account factors such as the flexibility of the ladder or the unevenness of the ground. It also assumes that the ladder is in perfect contact with the wall and the ground, which may not always be the case in real-life situations.