Finding the Minimum Frictional Force for a Ladder in Equilibrium

In summary, if a ladder makes an angle with the wall, has a mass and is uniform in design, the minimum force of friction which must exist between the ladder and floor to keep the ladder from slipping is given by
Coldie
If a ladder makes an angle with the wall, has a mass m and is uniform in design, show that the minimum force of friction which must exist between the ladder and floor to keep the ladder from slipping is given by

[tex]
F_f = \frac{1}{2}mg\tan\theta
[/tex]

Now, [tex]\mu = \frac{F_g_x}{F_g_y}[/tex], and in a previous calculation I got [tex]F_g_x = \frac{\frac{L\cos\theta}{2}mg}{L\sin\theta}[/tex] and [tex]F_g_y = mg[/tex], with [tex]L[/tex] being the length of the ladder.

When I plug all this together, I get [tex]\frac{\cot}{2}[/tex], not even close to what I'm intended to get. Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-01Physics-IFall1999/VideoLectures/detail/Video-Segment-Index-for-L-25.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, that site looks great, but I'm already familiar with the basics behind the ladder problem. The equations that I'm using worked on previous problems, and I'm not sure why I'm not getting the same answer in this particular problem.

Coldie said:
When I plug all this together, I get [tex]\frac{\cot}{2}[/tex], not even close to what I'm intended to get. Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong?
I'm not sure what you are doing here, but the problem is simple. No need to find [itex]\mu[/itex], since all you need is the frictional force. Assuming there is no friction at the wall, the frictional force must equal the normal force exerted by the wall on the ladder. To find that normal force, apply equilibrium conditions for torques on the ladder about the ground contact point. Note that the angle is with respect to the wall, not the floor.

Coldie,

Make sure that the calculations done / formula's found in previous exercises do apply for this problem. If you describe for what exercises the formula's you found apply, we could give you better hint to where, and why your result is not 100%

This is the point where physics requires you to understand what you are doing, in stead of just being a mathematical game.

Greetz,
Leo

Doc Al said:
I'm not sure what you are doing here, but the problem is simple. No need to find [itex]\mu[/itex], since all you need is the frictional force. Assuming there is no friction at the wall, the frictional force must equal the normal force exerted by the wall on the ladder. To find that normal force, apply equilibrium conditions for torques on the ladder about the ground contact point. Note that the angle is with respect to the wall, not the floor.
Gah, thank you, that's a big screw-up on my part. Also, since [tex]\theta[/tex] is at the wall pointing downwards, the [tex]\sin[/tex] and [tex]\cos[/tex] functions I'm using would be reversed, since I had been using the angle with respect to the floor! I think this solves my problem! Thanks!

1. What is ladder equilibrium proof?

Ladder equilibrium proof is a mathematical technique used to prove the stability of a system with two or more players making strategic decisions. It is commonly used in game theory and economics.

2. How does ladder equilibrium proof work?

In ladder equilibrium proof, a series of "ladders" or possible outcomes are created based on the players' decisions. These ladders represent the players' best responses to each other's choices. The stability of the system is then determined by analyzing the intersection points of these ladders.

3. What is the significance of ladder equilibrium proof?

Ladder equilibrium proof allows us to analyze and understand strategic interactions between players in a system. It helps us predict how players will behave and how the system will evolve over time.

4. What are the assumptions made in ladder equilibrium proof?

Ladder equilibrium proof assumes that all players are rational and have perfect information about the game and each other's strategies. It also assumes that players are aware of the potential outcomes and make their decisions based on maximizing their own payoffs.

5. Can ladder equilibrium proof be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, ladder equilibrium proof can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in business negotiations, sports competitions, and political campaigns. It can also be used to analyze market behavior and pricing strategies in economics.