1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ladder operation problem

1. Jul 31, 2012 #1
    I wonder how <0|a_(a+a_ + a_a+)a+|0> = <0|(a_a+ + 2a_a+)|0> = 3??. Here <0| is the (unperturbed) ground state level of an anharmonic oscillator and a+ is the creation operator and a_ is the annihilation operator.

I would get from <0|a_(a+a_ + a_a+)a+|0> that this becomes:
    <0|a_a+a_a+ + (a_)^2(a+)^2|0> or
    <0|a_a+a_a+ + (a_)(a_)(a+)(a+)|0>.

How in the world could this equal to <0|(a_a+ + 2a_a+)|0> = 3

could anyone give a qualitative reason for this?

kind regards

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi rubertoda.

Consider a_a_a+a+|0>. Just go step by step letting the operators operate consecutively starting with the operator on the far right. So, the first thing to do is to see what a+|0> yields.

4. Jul 31, 2012 #3
    ok, no, i wrote wrong. I meant <0|(a_a+a_a+ + (a_)(a_)(a+)(a+))|0> with paranthesis around everything...thx

5. Jul 31, 2012 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. I was just considering simplifying the second term. Note that you could write <0|(a_a+a_a+ + (a_)(a_)(a+)(a+))|0> = <0|a_a+a_a+|0> + <0|(a_)(a_)(a+)(a+)|0>. So, I was trying to have you think about how the second term <0|(a_)(a_)(a+)(a+)|0> simplifies. But, if you prefer, start with the first term <0|a_a+a_a+|0>.

6. Jul 31, 2012 #5
    ok, thx. i will do. and one last question. is it true that every term where the number of a_'s and a+'s aren't equal, i. e for example <0|x_x_x+|0> become 0, because it changes the state?

7. Jul 31, 2012 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right.

8. Jul 31, 2012 #7
    ok thx a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook