How does ladder operation in an anharmonic oscillator lead to a value of 3?

• Thread starter rubertoda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the equality between <0|a_(a+a_ + a_a+)a+|0> and <0|(a_a+ + 2a_a+)|0> = 3, with the use of operators for an anharmonic oscillator. The experts discuss the simplification of the equation and the effect of different numbers of annihilation and creation operators on the state.
rubertoda
I wonder how <0|a_(a+a_ + a_a+)a+|0> = <0|(a_a+ + 2a_a+)|0> = 3??. Here <0| is the (unperturbed) ground state level of an anharmonic oscillator and a+ is the creation operator and a_ is the annihilation operator.

I would get from <0|a_(a+a_ + a_a+)a+|0> that this becomes:
<0|a_a+a_a+ + (a_)^2(a+)^2|0> or
<0|a_a+a_a+ + (a_)(a_)(a+)(a+)|0>.

How in the world could this equal to <0|(a_a+ + 2a_a+)|0> = 3

could anyone give a qualitative reason for this?

kind regards

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi rubertoda.

Consider a_a_a+a+|0>. Just go step by step letting the operators operate consecutively starting with the operator on the far right. So, the first thing to do is to see what a+|0> yields.

ok, no, i wrote wrong. I meant <0|(a_a+a_a+ + (a_)(a_)(a+)(a+))|0> with paranthesis around everything...thx

rubertoda said:
ok, no, i wrote wrong. I meant <0|(a_a+a_a+ + (a_)(a_)(a+)(a+))|0> with paranthesis around everything...thx

OK. I was just considering simplifying the second term. Note that you could write <0|(a_a+a_a+ + (a_)(a_)(a+)(a+))|0> = <0|a_a+a_a+|0> + <0|(a_)(a_)(a+)(a+)|0>. So, I was trying to have you think about how the second term <0|(a_)(a_)(a+)(a+)|0> simplifies. But, if you prefer, start with the first term <0|a_a+a_a+|0>.

ok, thx. i will do. and one last question. is it true that every term where the number of a_'s and a+'s aren't equal, i. e for example <0|x_x_x+|0> become 0, because it changes the state?

rubertoda said:
ok, thx. i will do. and one last question. is it true that every term where the number of a_'s and a+'s aren't equal, i. e for example <0|x_x_x+|0> become 0, because it changes the state?

Yes, that's right.

ok thanks a lot

1. What is the ladder operation problem?

The ladder operation problem is a classic mathematical problem that involves finding the length of a ladder needed to reach a certain height when leaning against a wall at a specific angle.

2. How do you solve the ladder operation problem?

To solve the ladder operation problem, you can use the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, and tangent to calculate the unknown sides of a right triangle formed by the ladder, wall, and ground.

3. What information is needed to solve the ladder operation problem?

To solve the ladder operation problem, you will need to know the height of the wall, the angle at which the ladder is leaning against the wall, and the distance between the base of the wall and the base of the ladder.

4. Can the ladder operation problem be solved without using trigonometry?

Yes, there are other methods for solving the ladder operation problem without using trigonometry, such as using the Pythagorean theorem or the law of cosines. However, trigonometry is the most efficient and accurate method for solving this problem.

5. What real-life situations can the ladder operation problem be applied to?

The ladder operation problem can be applied to various real-life situations, such as construction, carpentry, and firefighting. It can also be used in more abstract scenarios, such as optimizing the placement of solar panels on a roof.