LaGrange max/min (calc 3)

In summary, the problem was to find the maximum and minimum possible volume for a box with edges equal to 200cm and surface area equal to 1500cm^2 using Lagrange multipliers. The solution involved setting up equations for volume, surface area, and edges, and using Lagrange multipliers to find the values for the three variables. After simplifying the equations, it was found that two of the lengths must be equal, making it easier to solve for the maximum and minimum volume.
jaredmt

Homework Statement

i needed to find the max and min possible volume for a box with edges that = 200cm and surface area that = 1500cm^2 using Lagrange multipliers.

Homework Equations

edges: 4x + 4y + 4z = 200cm
Area: 2xy + 2xz + 2yz = 1500 cm^2
Volume = xyz

The Attempt at a Solution

i brought it down to this:
Vol = f
Area = G
Edges = g

^f = ^G# + ^g$
(# and & just means 'some number')
( ^ is the gradient of the function)
when i simplify everything out i get these statements:

yz = #(y + z) + $
xz = #(x + z) + $
xy = #(x + y) + $
x + y +z = 50
xy + yz + yz = 750when i try to replace values it seems to get messy. do i just throw in random values for # and $ or something? I am 99% sure that they cannot = 0. that is pretty much all i can say from these statements right now lol

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's call L=# and M=$. Subtract your first two equation from each other. This gives (x-y)*z=L*(x-y). Or (z-L)*(x-y)=0. This tells you either z=L or x=y. Similarly y=L or x=z, or x=L or y=z. If you think about it, in any case, two of the lengths must be equal. Put this information into your last two equations. Now you have two equations in two unknowns. Not hard to solve at all.

ok cool, thanks a lot, found the answer

What is the LaGrange max/min theorem?

The LaGrange max/min theorem, also known as the extreme value theorem, states that a continuous function on a closed and bounded interval will have a maximum and minimum value at at least one point within that interval.

How is the LaGrange max/min theorem used in calculus?

The LaGrange max/min theorem is used in calculus to find the maximum and minimum values of a function on a given interval. This can be useful in optimization problems where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

What is a critical point in relation to the LaGrange max/min theorem?

A critical point is a point on a function where the derivative is equal to zero or does not exist. In the context of the LaGrange max/min theorem, critical points are important in determining potential maximum and minimum values of a function.

How do you determine if a critical point is a maximum or minimum using the LaGrange max/min theorem?

To determine if a critical point is a maximum or minimum using the LaGrange max/min theorem, you can use the first or second derivative test. The first derivative test involves checking the sign of the derivative on either side of the critical point, while the second derivative test involves evaluating the second derivative at the critical point.

Can the LaGrange max/min theorem be applied to functions with more than one variable?

Yes, the LaGrange max/min theorem can be extended to multivariable functions using the method of Lagrange multipliers. This allows for the optimization of functions with multiple variables subject to constraints.