1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange multiplers question

1. Jul 21, 2010 #1
    f(x,y,z)=4x^2+4y^2+z^2 subject to x^2+y^2+z^z=1

So I have:

F(x,y,z,c) = 4x^2+4y^2+z^2+L(x^2+y^2+z^2-1)

dF/dx = 8x+2xL
    dF/dy = 8y+2yL

Either x=y=0 and L=-1 OR z=0 and L=-4

For first case, z^2=1 therefore z=+/- 1 giving f(0,0,1)=1
    For second case, x^2+y^2=1 2x^2=1 x=y=+/-sqrt(1/2) giving f(sqrt(1/2),sqrt(1/2),0)=4

Is this correct?
    The minimum is therefore the first case giving f(0,0,1)=1?
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2010 #2
    Yup, it all looks right to me.
  4. Jul 21, 2010 #3
    Does that mean both cases are valid? One is the maximum and one is the minimum?
  5. Jul 21, 2010 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm assuming
    is typo for
    x^2+y^2+z^2 = 1.

Without using Lagrange you could subtract x^2+y^2+z^2=1 from f(x,y,z)=4x^2+4y^2+z^2 giving you 3(x2 + y2) = f - 1. As this LHS contains only squares it cannot be less than 0. Which is f=1. That is your minimum.

For the maximum looking at the form of f and your constraint you see that so to speak, x, y and z contribute indifferently to your constraint, but taking stuff away from z and investing it in x or y yields you more f. So z=0 will maximise f. The constraint is a sphere round the origin, but the the maximum of f is along a circle z=0, x2 + y2 = 1.
    I think it is everywhere along that circle. From this you still get the maximum of f=4, but if I am not mistaken :uhh: your answer is not unique but all points satisfying this x2 + y2 = 1 are solutions to the maximum problem.

It is necessary to know the Lagrange method but surprisingly often you can solve problems without it - use the constraint to solve or simplify your problem and use symmetry between variables.
  6. Jul 21, 2010 #5
    Thanks for your replies. Very helpful
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook