Maximizing f(x,y) on y=1-x^2 using Lagrange Multiplier Method

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Lagrange multiplier method to determine the point on the curve y=1-x^2 that maximises the function f(x,y)=2x + y. The attempt at solution involves finding the values of x and y where the function has a maximum, which is (1,0). The maximum value of f is obtained by substituting (1,0) into the function. The conversation also touches on dealing with frustration and taking a break when stuck on a problem.
sara_87
Question:

Use Lagrange multiplier method to determine the point on the curve
y=1-[tex]x^2[/tex]
that maximises the function f(x,y)=2x + y.
Hence find the maximum value of f.

Attempt at Solution:

Okay I used the Lagrange method to get a point on the curve and I got (1,0)

How do I find the maximum value of f though?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you've found the values of x and y where the function has a maximum, then do you not just plug (1,0) into f(x,y) to obtain the value of the function at that point?

Uh, substitute (1,0) into f?

i get (0,0)?

f is a number. Not a point. And it's not 0.

i'm still stuck! i don't what to do lol
give me more tips before i give up on maths altogether!
(does anyone else go through a phase when they just want to give up? lol)

You say f(x,y)=2*x+y. You've found a solution (1,0) so x=1, y=0. What is f(x,y)? Don't get so flustered!

'Don't get so flustered!'

you don't know what kind of day I've had! lol

thank you for your help and time I'm sure it's not a hard question i'll think about it tomorrow when i feel more awake.

Your annoyance is blocking you from seeing the obvious. That makes it a really good time to take a rest.

1. What is the Lagrange multiplier method?

The Lagrange multiplier method is a mathematical optimization technique used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to constraints. It involves creating a new function, the Lagrangian, by adding the constraints to the original objective function and then finding the critical points of this new function.

2. When should the Lagrange multiplier method be used?

The Lagrange multiplier method is most commonly used when there are multiple constraints and the objective function is a multivariable function. It is also useful when solving constrained optimization problems where the constraints are not easily solved for one of the variables.

3. How is the Lagrange multiplier calculated?

The Lagrange multiplier is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the Lagrangian with respect to each variable and setting them equal to zero. This creates a system of equations that can be solved to find the values of the variables and the Lagrange multiplier.

4. What is the significance of the Lagrange multiplier?

The Lagrange multiplier represents the rate of change of the objective function with respect to the constraints. It allows us to find the optimal values of the variables that satisfy the constraints and maximize or minimize the objective function.

5. Are there any limitations to the Lagrange multiplier method?

Yes, the Lagrange multiplier method can only be used for differentiable functions and it may not always provide the global maximum or minimum of a function. It also requires solving a system of equations, which can be time-consuming for complex problems.