LaGrange Multiplier Problem

In summary: Try solving for λ first, and then x and y. I think that's what you need to do.OK, so? Work it through to the end.I set the equations equal to get:2X = (2X)λ 8Y = (2Y)λ When I try to solve it always removes the variable. Where do I go from here to solve?Look at the first equation ## 2x = 2x \lambda##. Can you cancel the ##2x## on both sides? Why, or why not?I think you can, but it would just leave me with λ = 1.I think you can,
Baumer8993

Homework Statement

Consider the intersection of the elliptic paraboloid Z = X2+4Y2 , and the cylinder X2+Y2= 1. Use Lagrange multipliers to find the highest, and lowest points on the curve of intersection.

Homework Equations

The gradient equations of both functions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have ∇f= <2X, 8Y> and ∇g= <2X, 2Y>. the constraint equation is X2+Y2 = 1.

I set the equations equal to get:

2X = (2X)λ 8Y = (2Y)λ

When I try to solve it always removes the variable. Where do I go from here to solve?

Physics news on Phys.org
Baumer8993 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the intersection of the elliptic paraboloid Z = X2+4Y2 , and the cylinder X2+Y2= 1. Use Lagrange multipliers to find the highest, and lowest points on the curve of intersection.

Homework Equations

The gradient equations of both functions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have ∇f= <2X, 8Y> and ∇g= <2X, 2Y>. the constraint equation is X2+Y2 = 1.

I set the equations equal to get:

2X = (2X)λ 8Y = (2Y)λ

When I try to solve it always removes the variable. Where do I go from here to solve?

Look at the first equation ## 2x = 2x \lambda##. Can you cancel the ##2x## on both sides? Why, or why not?

I think you can, but it would just leave me with λ = 1.

Baumer8993 said:
I think you can, but it would just leave me with λ = 1.

OK, so? Work it through to the end.

BTW: there is another possibility having λ ≠ 1; can you see why?

I see that λ could also equal 4, but where do I go from plugging in the lambda values? I just end up with 2x=2x, and 8y=2Y, or do I need to use both λ lambda values at the same time?

Baumer8993 said:
I see that λ could also equal 4, but where do I go from plugging in the lambda values? I just end up with 2x=2x, and 8y=2Y, or do I need to use both λ lambda values at the same time?

You have three equations, one involving x and λ, one involving y and λ, and the constraint.

1. What is the LaGrange multiplier problem?

The LaGrange multiplier problem is a mathematical optimization problem that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to a set of constraints. It was first introduced by mathematician Joseph-Louis LaGrange in the late 18th century.

2. How do you solve the LaGrange multiplier problem?

The LaGrange multiplier problem can be solved using the method of Lagrange multipliers, which involves finding the critical points of a function using partial derivatives and then using the constraints to find the optimal value.

3. What are the applications of the LaGrange multiplier problem?

The LaGrange multiplier problem has many applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. It can be used to optimize production processes, solve problems involving forces and motion, and find equilibrium in economic models.

4. What are the limitations of the LaGrange multiplier problem?

One limitation of the LaGrange multiplier problem is that it only works for optimization problems with continuous functions and constraints. It also assumes that the constraints are independent of each other, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.

5. Can the LaGrange multiplier problem be extended to multiple variables?

Yes, the LaGrange multiplier problem can be extended to multiple variables, known as the method of undetermined multipliers. This method involves using multiple Lagrange multipliers to solve optimization problems with multiple variables and constraints.