Maximizing and Minimizing Functions with Lagrange Multipliers

In summary, Daniel found the global max and min valves for the function z=x^2+2y^2=1 on the circle x^2+y^2=1. He found the derivites and set them equal to get 1=2. However, he knows this is not right and needs help. Pepschevy provided a solution that assumes x and y are both different from zero. This solves the equation for x and gets 1 as the global max and min.
Pepsi24chevy
Hey guys, i need some help with this problem. It goes as follow: Find the global max and min valves of the fuction z=x^2+2y^2 on the circle x^2+y^2=1. Ok and here is what i have done. I found the derivites and have done (K is the lagrange constant)
2x=2xK K=1
4y=2yK K=2

Then i set them equal and get 1=2? I know this is not right, but my teacher said do it by lagrange multipliers, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you assume that both x and y must be different from zero?

[tex] \{x=0;y=\pm 1\} \mbox{and} \{y=0;x=\pm 1\} [/tex] should be the solution...I think the second delivers the minimum value...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
[tex] \{x=0;y=\pm 1\} \mbox{and} \{y=0;x=\pm 1\} [/tex] should be the solution...I think the second delivers the minimum value...

Daniel.
From looking at it I can see how you get those values but how would i do this mathamatically? WOuld i just take 1=2=0? Then go back and plug is or what. I am just trying to understand this, thanks for helping me out.

Just substitute [tex]x^2+y^2 =1[/tex] into [tex]z= x^2+ y^2+y^2= 1+ y^2[/tex]. Then just take the derivative of this in terms of y. Once you know the y value where the maximum happens just solve for x such that [tex]x^2= 1- y^2[/tex]

Oh and since you are on the unit circle you also need to check the bound [tex]y=\pm 1 [/tex]

Last edited:
I got to do this by lagrange multipliers though, that is what is messing me up because I don't see how it can be done by using this method.

Pepschevy:
You've got 3 equations in 3 unknowns:

[tex]2x=2xK, 4y=2yK, x^{2}+y^{2}=1[/tex]
Agreed?
Your flaw has been to divide the first equation with 2x, and the second equation with 2y.
This is only possible to do at the same time if neither x or y is 0!

But, furthermore:
You have proven that if we assume this we get 1=K=2, that is, 1=2 a contradiction.

Thus, you must conclude:
Either x or y MUST be zero!

Last edited:

1. What is the Lagrange multiplier method?

The Lagrange multiplier method is a mathematical technique used to solve optimization problems with constraints. It involves finding the values of the independent variables that maximize or minimize a given function while satisfying a set of constraints.

2. When should the Lagrange multiplier method be used?

The Lagrange multiplier method should be used when solving optimization problems with constraints, particularly when the constraints are non-linear and cannot be easily incorporated into the objective function.

3. What is the intuition behind the Lagrange multiplier method?

The Lagrange multiplier method can be thought of as finding the point at which the contours of the objective function and the constraints are tangent to each other. This point represents the maximum or minimum of the objective function subject to the given constraints.

4. What is the role of the Lagrange multiplier in this method?

The Lagrange multiplier is a scalar value that helps to incorporate the constraints into the optimization problem. It is multiplied with each constraint and added to the original objective function, creating a new function that can be optimized using traditional methods.

5. Are there any limitations to the Lagrange multiplier method?

While the Lagrange multiplier method is a powerful tool for solving optimization problems with constraints, it does have some limitations. It may not always provide the global optimum and may require multiple Lagrange multipliers for problems with multiple constraints. Additionally, it may be computationally intensive for complex problems.