Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange multiplier problem

1. Apr 23, 2005 #1
    Hey guys, i need some help with this problem. It goes as follow: Find the global max and min valves of the fuction z=x^2+2y^2 on the circle x^2+y^2=1. Ok and here is what i have done. I found the derivites and have done (K is the lagrange constant)
    2x=2xK K=1
    4y=2yK K=2

Then i set them equal and get 1=2? I know this is not right, but my teacher said do it by lagrange multipliers, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Why do you assume that both x and y must be different from zero?

4. Apr 23, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \{x=0;y=\pm 1\} \mbox{and} \{y=0;x=\pm 1\} [/tex] should be the solution...I think the second delivers the minimum value...

Daniel.

5. Apr 23, 2005 #4
    From looking at it I can see how you get those values but how would i do this mathamatically? WOuld i just take 1=2=0? Then go back and plug is or what. I am just trying to understand this, thanks for helping me out.

6. Apr 23, 2005 #5
    Just substitute [tex]x^2+y^2 =1[/tex] into [tex]z= x^2+ y^2+y^2= 1+ y^2[/tex]. Then just take the derivative of this in terms of y. Once you know the y value where the maximum happens just solve for x such that [tex]x^2= 1- y^2[/tex]

Oh and since you are on the unit circle you also need to check the bound [tex]y=\pm 1 [/tex]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  7. Apr 23, 2005 #6
    I got to do this by lagrange multipliers though, that is what is messing me up because I don't see how it can be done by using this method.

8. Apr 23, 2005 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Pepschevy:
    You've got 3 equations in 3 unknowns:

[tex]2x=2xK, 4y=2yK, x^{2}+y^{2}=1[/tex]
    Agreed?
    Your flaw has been to divide the first equation with 2x, and the second equation with 2y.
    This is only possible to do at the same time if neither x or y is 0!!

But, furthermore:
    You have proven that if we assume this we get 1=K=2, that is, 1=2 a contradiction.

Thus, you must conclude:
    Either x or y MUST be zero!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?