Lagrange multiplier problem

In summary, the problem is to find the lowest point on the curve of intersection between the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=30 and the cone 2*x^2+y^2=c^2. You can solve this problem using Lagrange multipliers.
Callisto
This problem was given in my calc class during the semester,
"Find the lowest point on the intersection of the sphere x^2+y^2 +z^2 = 30 and the cone 2*x^2 +y^2 = c^2". I don't know how to solve this problem with lagrange multipliers.
How is it done?
Thanks!

Callisto

Physics news on Phys.org
Callisto said:
This problem was given in my calc class during the semester,
"Find the lowest point on the intersection of the sphere x^2+y^2 +z^2 = 30 and the cone 2*x^2 +y^2 = c^2". I don't know how to solve this problem with lagrange multipliers.
How is it done?
Thanks!

Callisto

first of all you need to determin of which function you are going to search the extrema (minima or maxima, each of these two can be searched seperately as you know)...Can you find this function ? If that is done just apply the algoritm of Lagrangian multiplyers

regards
marlon

I assume the "c2" was a typo and the second equation is actually 2x2+ y2= z2. You want to find the "lowest" point on the curve of intersection which means that you want to minimize z itself with the two constraints:
x2+ y2+ z2= 30 and 2x2+ y2= z2.

Then if these as level surfaces of the functions g(x,y,z= x2+ y2+ z2= 30 and h(x,y,z)= 2x2+ y2- z2= 0. The gradient vector of the first is 2xi+ 2yj+ 2zk and the gradient vector of the second is 4xi+ 2yj- 2zk. The gradient of the object function f(x,y,z)= z is just k.
Using "Lagrange multipliers", we try to make that gradient a linear combination of the other two: k= λ(2xi+ 2yj+ 2zk)+ ρ(4xi+ 2yj- 2zk). That has 5 "unknowns", x, y, z, λ, and ρ (although you only need to find x, y, and z) and we have 5 equations:
the i component: 0= 2λx+ 4ρx
the j component: 0= 2λy+ 2ρy
the k component:1= 2λx- 2ρz
the equation of the sphere: x2+ y2+ z2d= 30
the equation of the cone: 2x2+ y2= z2.

Solve those equations for x, y, and z.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your replies'

from 0 = 2*lambda*x+ 4*rho*x
= 2*x(lambda +2*rho) = 0 when x = 0
if x = 0 then y^2 = z^2 so z = y = +/-sqrt(15)
so the min value is -sqrt(15),
that must mean the max value is sqrt(15)

is this right?

HallsofIvy said:
I assume the "c2" was a typo and the second equation is actually 2x2+ y2= z2. You want to find the "lowest" point on the curve of intersection which means that you want to minimize z itself with the two constraints:
x2+ y2+ z2= 30 and 2x2+ y2= z2.

Then if these as level surfaces of the functions g(x,y,z= x2+ y2+ z2= 30 and h(x,y,z)= 2x2+ y2- z2= 0. The gradient vector of the first is 2xi+ 2yj+ 2zk and the gradient vector of the second is 4xi+ 2yj- 2zk. The gradient of the object function f(x,y,z)= z is just k.
Using "Lagrange multipliers", we try to make that gradient a linear combination of the other two: k= λ(2xi+ 2yj+ 2zk)+ ρ(4xi+ 2yj- 2zk). That has 5 "unknowns", x, y, z, λ, and ρ (although you only need to find x, y, and z) and we have 5 equations:
the i component: 0= 2λx+ 4ρx
the j component: 0= 2λy+ 2ρy
the k component:1= 2λx- 2ρz
the equation of the sphere: x2+ y2+ z2d= 30
the equation of the cone: 2x2+ y2= z2.

Solve those equations for x, y, and z.

ok this makes my post look quite stupid :)

i was under the impression that we were not allowed to give complete answers, or have the PF-rules changed ?

marlon

1. What is the Lagrange multiplier problem?

The Lagrange multiplier problem is a mathematical optimization problem that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to certain constraints. It is named after the mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange and is often used in economics and physics to solve optimization problems.

2. How is the Lagrange multiplier problem solved?

The Lagrange multiplier problem is solved by setting up a system of equations known as the Lagrangian and solving for the critical points using the method of Lagrange multipliers. This involves finding the values of the Lagrange multipliers that satisfy the constraints and give the maximum or minimum value of the function.

3. What is the purpose of using Lagrange multipliers?

The purpose of using Lagrange multipliers is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to constraints. It allows for the optimization of a function while taking into account any constraints that must be satisfied. This is useful in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering.

4. What are the assumptions made in the Lagrange multiplier problem?

The Lagrange multiplier problem assumes that the function and constraints are continuous and have continuous first-order partial derivatives. It also assumes that the constraints are independent of each other and that the Lagrange multipliers are non-zero.

5. Can the Lagrange multiplier problem be used for non-linear functions?

Yes, the Lagrange multiplier problem can be used for both linear and non-linear functions. However, the method of solving the problem may differ depending on the type of function. For non-linear functions, the system of equations may need to be solved numerically using methods such as gradient descent or Newton's method.