1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange Multiplier

1. Nov 24, 2008 #1
    Use Lagrange Multipliers to find the maximum and minimum values of f(x,y)=x[tex]^{2}[/tex]y subject to the constraint g(x,y)=x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=1.

[tex]\nabla[/tex]f=[tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\nabla[/tex]g

[tex]\nabla[/tex]f=<2xy,x[tex]^{2}[/tex]>
    [tex]\nabla[/tex]g=<2x,2y>

1: 2xy=2x[tex]\lambda[/tex] ends up being y=[tex]\lambda[/tex]
    2: x[tex]^{2}[/tex]=2y[tex]\lambda[/tex] ends up being(1 into 2) x=[tex]\sqrt{2\lambda[/tex] ^{2}}[/tex]
    3: x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=1

1 and 2 into 3:
    (2[tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex])+([tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex])=1

Do I then solve for [tex]\lambda[/tex] and x and y? Did I do the above correctly? I am going off of an example of f(x,y,z) so I'm not sure if I'm correct. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2008 #2
    Be careful when dividing by a variable because x=0 could easily be a solution to this problem. Instead of trying to solve for lambda, try eliminating it. You could try multiplying the first equation by y and the second equation by x. You should get an equation for x and y, and so coupled with equation 3, you have two equations two unknowns.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?