Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange multiplier

1. Jun 20, 2011 #1
    In a exercise says:

Find max a min of [tex]f=-x^2+y^2[/tex] abaut the ellipse [tex]x^2+4y^2=4[/tex]

i tried [tex]-2x=\lambda 2x[/tex]
    [tex] 2y=\lambda 8y [/tex]
    [tex]x^2+4y^2-4=0[/tex]

then [tex]\lambda =-1[/tex] or [tex]\lambda =\frac{1}{4}[/tex] , but, ¿how i find [tex]x,y[/tex]????

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2011 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, suppose you identically fulfill your first eqaution by choosing lambda=-1.

What does this imply that "y" must equal, by looking at your second equation?

4. Jun 20, 2011 #3
    thank, but, i dont understand :(

5. Jun 20, 2011 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What is it you don't understand??

What does the second equation look like if you insert lambda=-1?

6. Jun 20, 2011 #5
    Okay you seem to be going along fine. From your first equation you determined that [tex]\lambda = -1[/tex] So now if you plug [tex]\lambda = -1[/tex] into your second equation what must y be ? and when you plug that into your third equation what do you get for x ? Now from your second equation you determined [tex]\lambda = \frac{1}{4}[/tex] so when you plug that into your first equation what must x be ? and then what do you get for y when you plug into your third equation ?

7. Jun 20, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If [itex]\lambda= -1[/itex] then the second equation becomes [itex]2y= -8y[/itex] so that [itex]y= 0[/itex]. You can solve [tex]x^2= 4[/tex] for the corresponding x values.

If [itex]\lambda= \frac{1}{4}[/itex], then the first equation becomes [itex]-2x= (1/2)x[/itex] so that [itex]x= 0[/itex]. Solve [itex]4y^2= 4[/itex] for y.

8. Jun 20, 2011 #7
    Very Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook