1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange multipliers for multiple constraints of multiple coordinates

1. Sep 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Sorry for the long derivation below. I want to check if what I derived is correct, I can't find it anywhere else, feel free to skip to the end. Thanks!

I am confused by how to write the EL equations if I have multiple constraints of multiple coordinates. For example, let's say I have a Lagrangian
    [tex] L(x,\dot{x},y,\dot{y}) [/tex]
    and two constraints
    [tex] f(x,\dot{x},y,\dot{y}) = const. [/tex]
    [tex] g(x,\dot{x},y,\dot{y}) = const. [/tex]

Now how do I write the EL equations?

2. Relevant equations

See above.

3. The attempt at a solution

My approach is to follow the same procedure as for deriving the EL eqns for a simpler constraint.

Consider a single constraint of multiple coordinates [itex] f(x,\dot{x},y,\dot{y}) = const [/itex]
    Therefore:
    [tex]\delta f = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \delta x + \frac{\partial f}{\partial \dot{x}} \delta \dot{x} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \delta y + \frac{\partial f}{\partial \dot{y}} \delta \dot{y} = 0 [/tex]

Since this is zero, can add it to the variation in the action with an arbitrary constant [itex]\lambda (t)[/itex]:
    [tex]\delta S = \int \left ( \frac{\partial L}{\partial x} \delta x + \frac{\partial L }{\partial \dot{x}}\delta \dot{x} + \lambda (t) \left ( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\delta x + \frac{\partial f}{\partial \dot{x}} \delta \dot{x} \right ) \right ) dt + (\text{same integral in y}) = 0 [/tex]

I integrate by parts for both x-dot terms (just as usual for the Lagrangian term) to get:
    [tex] \delta S = \int \left ( \frac{\partial L}{\partial x} - \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L }{\partial \dot{x}} + \lambda (t) \left ( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} - \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial f}{\partial \dot{x}} \right ) \right ) \delta x dt =0 [/tex]
    (and again the same term for y)

This would lead me to conclude that I could write for a single constraint:

[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial x} - \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L }{\partial \dot{x}} + \lambda (t) \left ( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} - \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial f}{\partial \dot{x}} \right ) = 0 [/tex]
    (and similar for y, also with [itex] \lambda [/itex])

Or, more generally, for two multivariate constraints [itex] f(x,\dot{x},y,\dot{y}) = const [/itex] and [itex] g(x,\dot{x},y,\dot{y}) = const [/itex]:

[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial x} - \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L }{\partial \dot{x}} + \lambda (t) \left ( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} - \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial f}{\partial \dot{x}} \right ) + \mu (t) \left ( \frac{\partial g}{\partial x} - \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial g}{\partial \dot{x}} \right ) = 0 [/tex]
    (and similar for y, also with [itex] \lambda, \mu [/itex])

Is that correct?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?