1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LaGrange Multipliers Help!

1. Nov 15, 2005 #1
    LaGrange Multipliers!! Help!

Use the Lagrange multiplier method for 3 variables to find the points on the surface 3xy-z^2=1 that are closest to the origin.

I tried using the gradient= lamda(granient) and ended up getting (-3/2,0,-1). but i think i did it way wrong. Can someone please help? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2005 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

the gradient should be parallel to the radius vector, no?

4. Nov 16, 2005 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

Minimize [tex]f(x,y,z)=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/tex] subject to the constraint [tex]g(x,y,z)=3xy-z^2=1[/tex]

and note that the min of f is also the min of f^2, so the vector eqn is

[tex] 2<x,y,z> = \lambda <3y,3x,-2z>[/tex] and [tex]3xy-z^2=1[/tex]

the z-component gives [tex]z=-\lambda z[/tex] and hence [tex]\lambda=-1[/tex] iff [tex]z\neq 0[/tex] and plugging [tex]\lambda=-1[/tex] into the vector eqn quickly gives both 2y=-3x and 2x=-3y so x=y=0, however this is an extraneous solution since (0,0,z) is not on the given suface (for real z anyhow). Therefore z=0 by contradiction and now it is easy.

Have fun,
    -Ben

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?