Lagrange multipliers method?

In summary, the conversation discusses question number 10 and the equation h = f + λg, where g is the constraint (the ellipsoid) and f is the function to maximize or minimize (the rectangular parallelpiped volume). The question asks if f should be 8xyz or just xyz, and the response suggests that using f(x,y,z)=8xyz would give the largest rectangular parallelpiped with edges parallel to the x, y, and z axes. This is because solving the problem without this constraint would be messy and the largest shape is likely to still follow the constraint. Therefore, it is expected that the equation should use 8xyz instead of just xyz.
mohamed el teir
upload_2015-11-29_1-56-39.png

regarding question number 10, we have h = f + λg where g is the constraint (the ellipsoid) and f is the function we need to maximize or minimize (the rectangular parallelpiped volume),
now my question : is it right that f is 8xyz ? i mean if we take f to be xyz not 8xyz and solved till we got the value of xyz, the resulting value is a maximized rectangular parallelpiped in the ellipsoid in one octan only, i mean: to get the whole maximized volume we need multiply by 8, is this right ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes I suspect they want you to take f(x,y,z)=8xyz. Solving for that would give you the largest rectangular parallelpiped whose edges are parallel to the x, y and z axes. Solving the problem without that constraint in italics would I expect be very messy, since you'd have to allow for all possible rotations of the shape in 3D. Fortunately, I expect that the largest such shape is one that obeys that constraint anyway, although the proof of that is not immediately obvious. Since the problem would be so messy without assuming that, I expect they want you to assume it (or, more likely, they never even thought of that complication).

1. What is the Lagrange multipliers method?

The Lagrange multipliers method is a mathematical technique used to optimize a function subject to constraints. It is used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function while satisfying one or more constraints.

2. When is the Lagrange multipliers method used?

The Lagrange multipliers method is commonly used in optimization problems where the objective function and constraints are differentiable. It is also used in physics and engineering applications to find the optimal values of physical quantities.

3. How does the Lagrange multipliers method work?

The Lagrange multipliers method works by introducing a new variable, called a Lagrange multiplier, for each constraint in the problem. These multipliers are then used to solve a system of equations, called the Lagrange equations, to find the optimal values of the objective function and the constrained variables.

4. What are the advantages of using the Lagrange multipliers method?

The Lagrange multipliers method is advantageous because it can handle a wide range of constraints, including equality and inequality constraints. It also provides a systematic way of solving constrained optimization problems and can be extended to handle more complex problems.

5. Are there any limitations of the Lagrange multipliers method?

One limitation of the Lagrange multipliers method is that it may not always find the global optimum of a function. In some cases, it may only find a local optimum. Additionally, it may be computationally expensive for problems with a large number of constraints or variables.