1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange multipliers Q

1. Feb 20, 2006 #1
    I'm stuck on the following question

"Find the maximum and minimum values of f(x,y,z) = [tex] x^2y^2-y^2z^2 + z^2x^2[/tex] subject to the constraint of [tex] x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1[/tex] by using the method of lagrange multipliers.

Write the 4 points where the minimum value is achieved and the 8 points where the max is achieved"

So far, I've managed to calculate the gradient for both formulae and have the resulting equations:

[tex]2xy^2 + 2z^2x = \lambda(2x)[/tex]

[tex]2x^2y - 2z^2y = \lambda(2y)[/tex]

[tex]2x^2z - 2y^2z = \lambda(2z)[/tex]

Do I just substitute these equations in turn into the constraint equation and determine what the points are that satisfy it?

Also, how do you find out if a point is a local max/min when you know the critical point when looking at a case like this?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You should be able to simplify those. Obviously, x= 0 makes the first of those equations true. If x is not 0, then the first equation is [itex]y^2+ z^2= \lamba[/itex].

Similarly, y= 0 satisfies the second equation. If y is not 0, then the second equation is [itex]x^2- z^2= \lamda[/itex]

z= 0 satisfies the third equation. If z is not 0, then the third equation is [itex]x^2- y^2= \lambda[/itex].

Setting [itex]x^2- z^2= x^2- y^2[/itex] gives [itex] z^2= y^2[/itex] or z= y. Similarly, setting [itex]y^2+ z^2= x^2- y^2[/itex] gives z= x. Can you finish from here?

4. Feb 20, 2006 #3
    Ok, I can follow you up to a certain point.

For whenever x,y or z = 0, I get the following critical points:
    (1,0,0)
    (-1,0,0)
    (0,1,0)
    (0,-1,0)
    (0,0,1)
    (0,0,-1)

I get [itex] z^2 = \frac{x^2} {3} [/itex] here.

I then get a bit lost from now on. By substitution and a number of steps I get [itex] z = \frac {1} {\sqrt{5}} [/itex] and [itex] z = -\frac {1} {\sqrt{5}} [/itex]. Do I just substitute that in and get the critical points?

5. Feb 20, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

hmm..you've missed out quite a few points:
    Rewrite your equations as follows:
    [tex]2x(y^{2}+z^{2}-\lambda)=0[/tex]
    [tex]2y(x^{2}-z^{2}-\lambda)=0[/tex]
    [tex]2z(x^{2}-y^{2}-\lambda)=0[/tex]
    [tex]x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}=1[/tex]
    If you set x=0, you get in addition to your own points the following 4:
    [tex](0,\pm\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\pm\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}), (\lambda=-\frac{1}{2})[/tex]

Having dealt with those, note that from combining the first and fourth equation, we must have:
    [tex]x^{2}=1-\lambda[/tex]
    (Replacing the first and eliminating x from further consideration)
    [tex]2y(1-z^{2}-2\lambda)=0[/tex]
    [tex]2z(1-y^{2}-2\lambda)=0[/tex]
    [tex]y^{2}+z^{2}=\lambda[/tex]
    You can now proceed further with these three equations.

If I've counted correctly, there are a total of 18 (x,y,z) solutions here, in addition to the 8 previous ones.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  6. Feb 20, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oops, you are right! Now you know y= z and x2= 3z2. Now put those into your constraint:
    [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= 3z^2+ z^2+ z^2= 5z^2= 1[/itex]
    So, yex, [itex]z= \pm\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}[/itex].

Now use y= z and x2= 3z2 to find corresponding values of x and y.

7. Feb 21, 2006 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

FYI, the max/min is [itex]\pm\frac{1}{4}[/itex]

8. Feb 21, 2006 #7

benorin

Homework Helper

Since [tex]f(x,z,y) = x^2z^2-z^2y^2 + y^2x^2 = x^2y^2-y^2z^2 + z^2x^2 = f(x,y,z)[/tex]

which is to say that f is symmetric in the variables y and z, doesn't it follow that the extrema will have y=z?

9. Feb 21, 2006 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Nope; what follows is that for any particular extremum with one choice of y and z, there must also be another extremum with their values commuted.
    The 26 critical points are:
    [tex](\pm{1},0,0), (0,\pm{1},0), (0,0,\pm{1}),(\pm\sqrt{\frac{3}{5}},\pm\sqrt{\frac{1}{5}},\pm\sqrt{\frac{1}{5}}),(0,\pm\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\pm\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}),(\pm\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},0,\pm\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}),(\pm\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\pm\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},0)[/tex]
    The last 12 are the extrema.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?