1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange multipliers

1. Aug 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using Lagrange multipliers, find the maximum and minimum values of [tex]f(x,y)=x^3y[/tex] with the constraint [tex]3x^4+y^4=1[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here is my complete solution. I just wanted to make sure there are no errors and I did it correctly. Thanks for any feedback.

[tex]\nabla f = \lambda \nabla g[/tex]
    [tex]3x^2y=12\lambda x^3[/tex] and [tex]x^3=4\lambda y^3[/tex]
    Solving these I got [tex]\lambda = \frac{1}{4}[/tex] and [tex]\lambda = -\frac{1}{4}[/tex]

Putting these values into the equation on the right gives x=y and x=-y. Substituting these into the left equation gives [tex]x=y=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] and [tex]x=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex], [tex]y = -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex].

Putting these values into the equation for [tex]f[/tex] gives a maximum of [tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex] and minimum of [tex]-\frac{1}{4}[/tex].

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2010 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Your maximum and minimum values are correct, but you have, for the maxima two soluitons,
    [tex]x=y=\pm\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]
    rather then just one maximum.

Similarly for the minimum value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook