Finding Equal Force Distance from Moon

In summary, the conversation is discussing finding the distance from the moon where the force on a particle from the Earth and sun is equal. The expression used is yMm/(r^2) = yMm / (400000km-r)^2, but it leads to the incorrect answer of 200 000km instead of the expected 40 000km. This is because the mass of the moon is not equal to the mass of the Earth, and the product of the masses cannot be cancelled. The correct expression should only have one mass variable on each side. It is also important to consider the mass of the particle at the Lagrance point.
sony
So I am supposed to find the distance from the moon where the force on a particle from the Earth and sun is equal.

I get this expression (earth-moon distance is 400 000km):
yMm/(r^2) = yMm / (400000km-r)^2

But from that I get r=200 000km and the answer should be 40 000km...

whats wrong with the expression?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
mass of the moon != mass of the earth

but the product of the masses is the same on both sides right? don't they cancel...?

No, they are not the same and they can't cancel if they are not the same.

then what is the expression...?

There should be only one mass variable on each side of your equation.

but Newtons gravitation law is yMm/r^2...

Yes. But do you KNOW what M and m are?

M=mass of earth
m=mass of moon

?

oh, heh, I don't know what caused me to be so slow... I forgot the mass of the particle at the Lagrance point...

Bah, sorry for the trouble :P

1. How do you determine the equal force distance from the Moon?

The equal force distance from the Moon is determined by calculating the distance at which the gravitational force of the Moon on an object is equal to the gravitational force of the Earth on the same object.

2. What factors affect the equal force distance from the Moon?

The factors that affect the equal force distance from the Moon include the mass of the Moon and Earth, the distance between the Moon and Earth, and the gravitational constant.

3. Is the equal force distance from the Moon constant?

No, the equal force distance from the Moon is not constant. It changes depending on the position of the Moon and Earth in their orbits, as well as other factors such as the presence of other celestial bodies.

4. Why is finding the equal force distance from the Moon important?

Finding the equal force distance from the Moon is important because it helps us understand the gravitational forces between the Moon and Earth, and how they affect objects on Earth's surface. It also has practical applications in fields such as space exploration and satellite navigation.

5. How is the equal force distance from the Moon used in space exploration?

The equal force distance from the Moon is used in space exploration to determine the most efficient trajectories for spacecraft to reach the Moon or other celestial bodies. It also helps in understanding the effects of the Moon's gravity on spacecraft and how to navigate around it.