1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange Remainder Theorem

1. May 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At what points ##x## in the interval ##(-1,1]## can one use the Lagrange Remainder Theorem to verify the expansion

##ln(1+x)=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{k+1}{\frac{x^k}{k!}}##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Now I know that ##ln(1+x)=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{k+1}{\frac{x^k}{k}}## when ##x\in(-1,1]##. If we let ##P_n## denote the nth Taylor polynomial for ##ln(1+x)## then ##f(x)-P_n(x)=\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{(n+1)(1+c)^{n+1}}x^{n+1}## centered at ##0##.
    The only difference between these two forms is the ##k!## which i'm not sure how to deal with. Also if you could provide me with some hint on how to go about this problem that be great thanks.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2014 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

The function is equal to its Taylor expansion if and only if the remainder term ##|R_n(x)| → 0## as ##n → ∞##. Otherwise I'm not quite sure what you mean in particular by the "Lagrange Remainder theorem".

4. May 3, 2014 #3
    The book wants be to use the Lagrange remainder theorem for this problem. But i'm not sure how to find for which x values satisfy ##ln(1+x)=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}(-1)^{k+1}\frac{x^k}{k!}##. Basically I need to find the some interval that this equation is satisfied.

5. May 3, 2014 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Could you perhaps write the theorem out.

Otherwise you can use any ##x## in the interval ##(-1, 1]## and the series will be valid.

6. May 3, 2014 #5
    Lagrange Remainder Theorem- Let ##I## be an open interval containing the point ##x_0## and let ##n## be a nonegative integer. Suppose that the function ##f:I-->\mathbb{R}## has ##n+1## derivatives. Then for each point ##x## in ##I## there is a point ##c## strictly between ##x## and ##x_0## such that ##f(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{n} \frac{f^k}{k!} (x-x_0)^k+\frac{f^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}(x-x_0)^k##.

Theorem 8.8- For each natural number ##n## and each number ##x>-1## there is a number ##c## strictly between ##0## and ##x## such that ##ln(1+x)=x-\frac{x^2}{2}+...+\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n} x^n+ \frac{(-1)^n}{(n+1)(1+c)^{n+1}}x^{n+1}##

7. May 3, 2014 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I see. And ##f(x)## is equal to its expansion if and only if the remainder term goes to zero.

Something to notice here... you don't actually know whether or not ##x < c < 0## or ##0 < x < c##. All you know is that ##x \in I##. So you know the series will converge in the interval ##(-1, 1]##. If you try it by plugging in the endpoint 1, you will get a convergent series for example.

8. May 3, 2014 #7
    So the series will converge in the entire interval ##(-1,1]##?

9. May 3, 2014 #8

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Yes. Although it would be good to show that it actually does.

10. May 3, 2014 #9
    Oh ok. I did try doing that at first but when I compared it against the answer in the book I was off. They stated that the interval was supposed to be ##\frac{-1}{2}\leq x\leq 1## which I have no idea how they got that.

11. May 3, 2014 #10

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Well, if they want a particular interval, then what's the closest point to zero from -1? That's one of the endpoints. The other endpoint is of course given. They just happened to use ##-1/2##.

12. May 3, 2014 #11
    So they just chose some random point close to ##0##?

13. May 3, 2014 #12

Zondrina

Homework Helper

What I meant to say was the convergence would be valid for an interval as specific as ##[-\frac{1}{1.0001}, 1]## if you wanted.

##-1/2## is a nice number though.

14. May 3, 2014 #13
    Oh Ok i see thanks. I just was confused why they chose that -1/2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted