1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange remainder

1. Apr 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is not a homework problem but I would like to clarify my concern.

It is stated that a function can be written as such:

[itex] f(x) = \lim_{n \rightarrow ∞} \sum^{∞}_{k=0} f^{(k)} \frac{(x-x_{0})^k}{k!} [/itex]

[itex] R_{n}=\int^{x}_{x_{0}} f^{(n+1)} (t) \frac{(x-t)^n}{n!} dt [/itex]

They state that by MVT,

[itex] R_{n}= \frac{f^{(n+1)}(x^{*})}{(n+1)!} (x-x_{0})^{n+1} [/itex]

For some [itex] x^{*} \in (x_{0},x) [/itex]

I am wondering which statement of MVT leads to the second identity? Much thanks:)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2013 #2
    If MVT means "mean value theorem", then there is one about ## \int_a^b f(x)g(x) dx ##.

4. Apr 14, 2013 #3
    Yes, I am aware that MVT is mean value theorem and it is related to the integral form of MVT. But I am wondering how did they manage to get the following result.

The first mean value theorem states:

[itex] \int^{b}_{a} G(t) dt = G(x) (b-a) [/itex] for [itex] x \in (a,b) [/itex]

Which does not lead to the result desired.

Therefore, I am convinced that it is related to the second mean value theorem:

If G : [a, b] → R is a monotonic (not necessarily decreasing and positive) function and φ : [a, b] → R is an integrable function, then there exists a number x in (a, b) such that

[itex] \int^{b}_{a} G(t)\phi(t) dt = G(a+)\int^{x}_{a}\phi(t) dt + G(b-)\int^{b}_{x}\phi(t) dt [/itex]

However, I am not sure how do I go about deal with that

5. Apr 14, 2013 #4
  6. Apr 14, 2013 #5
    Yes, i have took the theorem stated above form the similar website

7. Apr 14, 2013 #6
    So you are saying you cannot see a useful one there?

8. Apr 14, 2013 #7
    I am convinced that it is related to the second mean value theorem:

If G : [a, b] → R is a monotonic (not necessarily decreasing and positive) function and φ : [a, b] → R is an integrable function, then there exists a number x in (a, b) such that

∫baG(t)ϕ(t)dt=G(a+)∫xaϕ(t)dt+G(b−)∫bxϕ(t)dt

However, I am not sure how do I go about deal with that

9. Apr 14, 2013 #8
    I fail to see why what is labeled as the "First mean value theorem for integration" in the article I linked is not suitable.

You are free to make it much more complex than it needs to be, of course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted