Lagrange's Equations: Know When to Use Each

• Thread starter Isaac0427
  • Start date
In summary, Lagrange's equation of the first kind (also known as the generalized equations of motion) and the Euler-Lagrange equations are two methods used to calculate the equations of motion in mechanics. The first equation, ∂L/∂q-(d/dt)(∂L/∂q.)=Q, takes into account all forces acting on the system, while the second equation, ∂L/∂q-(d/dt)(∂L/∂q.)=0, only considers conservative forces. When dealing with non-conservative forces, the second equation may not be accurate and the first equation should be used.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
Lagrange's equation of the first kind gives us ∂L/∂q-(d/dt)(∂L/∂q.)=Q and the Euler-Lagrange equations give us ∂L/∂q-(d/dt)(∂L/∂q.)=0 (I know the equations are not perfectly written but you get the point). How do you know which one to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
The second one only account for conservative forces. When you have forces that ain't conservative the right side is the sum of these forces.
(Assuming I understood your notation correctly, been a long time since I did this)

Edit: maybe someone else can give their input, after checking it again I suspect I may have give you a (way) too simplistic answer.

Last edited:

1. What are Lagrange's equations and how are they used?

Lagrange's equations are a set of equations used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of a system of particles. They are based on the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a system between two points in space and time will minimize the total energy required. These equations are used to determine the equations of motion for a system given the initial conditions and the forces acting on the system.

2. When should I use Lagrange's equations?

Lagrange's equations are typically used in situations where the forces acting on a system are known, but the equations of motion are difficult to obtain using traditional Newtonian methods. This includes systems with constraints or situations where the equations of motion cannot be easily derived from the system's potential energy function.

3. What is the difference between the first and second form of Lagrange's equations?

The first form of Lagrange's equations, also known as the Euler-Lagrange equations, are used to determine the equations of motion for a system with a single generalized coordinate. The second form, also known as the Hamiltonian form, is used for systems with multiple generalized coordinates. The second form also introduces the concept of the Hamiltonian, which is a function that describes the total energy of the system.

4. Can Lagrange's equations be used in non-conservative systems?

Yes, Lagrange's equations can be used in both conservative and non-conservative systems. In conservative systems, the total energy of the system is conserved, and the equations can be derived from a potential energy function. In non-conservative systems, the total energy is not conserved, and the equations must be modified to account for energy dissipation.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrange's equations?

Lagrange's equations are limited to systems that can be described by generalized coordinates and have a well-defined potential energy function. They may not be applicable in situations where the system has non-holonomic constraints or if the potential energy function is unknown or too complex to work with. In these cases, other methods, such as Hamilton's equations or numerical methods, may be more suitable.