1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange's Identity

1. Apr 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

From Mary Boas' "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" 3rd ed. Ch 3 Sec 4 problem 24

Where A and B are vectors. What is the value of (AXB)^2+(A dot B)^2=? Comment: This is a special case of Lagrange's Identity.

2. Relevant equations

Cross product and dot product definitions.

3. The attempt at a solution

I get a nasty mess that ends up equaling A^2*B^2. That is what is supposed to equal, but I got such a large unwieldy result that I would have no idea that it all could be collapsed down to A^2*B^2 by simply looking at it. So I looked up the answer and saw that my mess is supposed to equal A^2*B^2. I tried it in SAGE and sure enough they are identical. However, I am not sure what the purpose of the exercise is supposed to help me understand other than expanding both sides to see that Lagrange's Identity indeed works.

Am I missing something here? I have noticed with working with Mary Boas' book most solutions are very elegant and don't require a rat's nest of algebra. Usually if a mess results, I am doing it wrong :D

Thanks,
    Chris Maness

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If A X B is a vector, what does it mean to square it? Or do you mean |AXB|^2?

4. Apr 22, 2014 #3
    The book presents it that way, but she states if you see a vector^2 it is actually the dot product with itself. I cheated and peaked at the solutions manual and she actually didn't give the answer, but a fat hint.

Use AXB=|A||B|*sin(x), and A dot B=|A||B|*cos(x).

It is indeed very elegant with this hint.

Thanks,
    Chris Maness

5. Apr 22, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to be more careful about the distinction between vectors and their magnitudes. Your statement above that I have highlighted makes no sense because you have a vector on the left and a scalar on the right. I think you made the same mistake in your original statement of the problem. Don't confuse AXB with |AXB|.

6. Apr 22, 2014 #5
    Yes, I see the issue. She does write it just like that in the text with that statement for clarity.

Thanks,
    Chris Maness

7. Apr 22, 2014 #6

lurflurf

Homework Helper

It is not confusion, it is operator overloading.

It is very common (almost standard) to define.
    $$\mathbf{A}^2=\mathbf{A}\cdot \mathbf{A}=|\mathbf{A}|^2$$
    no confusion is likely to result the other self products are written
    $$\mathbf{A} \times \mathbf{A}=\mathbf{0} \\
    \mathbf{A} \mathbf{A}
    $$

The hint form is slightly troubling it could be written unambiguously, for example
    $$(\mathbf{A}\times \mathbf{B})^2=\mathbf{A}^2 \, \mathbf{B}^2 \, \sin^2(x)=(|\mathbf{A}|\, |\mathbf{B}| \sin(x))^2 \\
    (\mathbf{A}\cdot \mathbf{B})^2=\mathbf{A}^2 \, \mathbf{B}^2 \, \cos^2(x)=(|\mathbf{A}|\, |\mathbf{B}| \cos(x))^2$$

8. Apr 22, 2014 #7
    Yes, your first LaTeX line is in her text, and then it goes on to write (|AXB|)^2 as (AXB)^2.

Chris

9. Apr 22, 2014 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I have seen that before too, and I don't care for it. But I have never seen it acceptable to write$$
    A\times B = |A||B|\sin\theta$$Students have enough trouble keeping vectors and scalars straight without overloading (abusing) the notation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted