Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian Action

1. Mar 2, 2005 #1
    Hi, i've just started a course in Classical Mechanics, in 3rd year undergraduate physics, and i'm a bit confused as to what exactly an ACTION is.
    All we've been told is that the action, S is defined as the integral from t1 to t2 of the Lagrangian with respect to time.
    Thanks in advance

Ray Veldkamp
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2005 #2
  4. Mar 2, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the help, i'm sure I'll have plenty more Classical mechanics questions this semester
  5. Mar 2, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is the essential functional in all theoretical physics...For discrete systems,it is indeed the integral of the function called LAGRANGIAN wrt time between specifed fixed limits.

Adn the extremum principle joining it is the fundamental principle in nature.
  6. Mar 2, 2005 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The action is easy enough to define mathematically but its physical meaning is a very difficult thing to understand. I struggle with it. I would highly recommend Feynman's lecture - Chapter 19 in Volume II of The Feynman Lectures on Physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?