1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian dynamics

1. Apr 19, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    New Bitmap Image (2).jpg

2. Relevant equations
    The last part of this question is an example of this result:
    C.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here is the solution
    a.jpg

I think L' is missing a term: If we take the Earth as your frame of reference.(i.e. You are stationary, watching the movement of the railway carriage).Then there should be an extra term for the KE of pendulum,due to horizontal movement of the carriage. (see below, the y dot term corresponds to v of the carriage)
    b.jpg

Why is it not involved in L' ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your constraint equation is ##\dot y = v(t)##. This implies that the term you are referring to only depends on t and therefore is a total derivative (and hence irrelevant for the equations of motion).

4. Apr 19, 2017 #3
    Sorry, could you explain it in more detail? I couldn't get it

5. Apr 19, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Which part do you have trouble with? There is only one degree of freedom for the pendulum, the angle ##\theta##. The final Lagrangian cannot depend on ##y## since the motion of ##y## is given by integrating ##v(t)##. The constraint gives you ##\dot y = v(t)## and so ##y(t)## is a primitive function of ##v(t)##. Inserting the constraint into your Lagrangian means your ##\dot y^2## term turns into
    $$
    \frac{\mu v(t)^2}{2}.
    $$
    This is a function of ##t## only and does not affect the equations of motion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted