Lagrangian for a free particle expansion problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a step in Landau & Lifshits CM, specifically the expansion of an expression involving v' and epsilon. The answer is that the author used Taylor expansion and neglected higher-order terms in order to determine the infinitesimal change in L that results from an infinitesimal change in v. The end goal is likely to determine the Euler-Lagrange equations.
Bryson
Hello, this is probably one of those shoot yourself in the foot type questions.

I am going through Landau & Lifshits CM for fun. On page 7 I do not understand this step:

[itex] L' = L(v'^2) = L(v^2 + 2 \vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon} + \epsilon^2) [/itex]

where [itex] v' = v + \epsilon [/itex]. He then expands the expression in powers of [itex] \epsilon [/itex] (neglecting higher order terms) to get:

[itex] L(v'^2) = L(v^2) + \frac{\partial L}{\partial v^2} 2\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon} [/itex]

How did he arrive here? What expansion did he use? Taylor expansion?

Thanks for any help or comments!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, Taylor expansion. Higher-order terms are neglected because they want to determine the infinitesimal change in L that follows from an infinitesimal change in v. (I'm guessing here because I don't have the book, but there's no other reason to do this calculation. I presume that the final result will be the Euler-Lagrange equations.)

1. What is the Lagrangian for a free particle expansion problem?

The Lagrangian for a free particle expansion problem is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a free particle, taking into account its position, velocity, and time. It is defined as the difference between the kinetic and potential energies of the particle.

2. How is the Lagrangian different from the Hamiltonian?

The Lagrangian and Hamiltonian are both mathematical functions used to describe the dynamics of a system. The main difference is that the Lagrangian is expressed in terms of the particle's position and velocity, while the Hamiltonian is expressed in terms of the particle's position and momentum.

3. How is the Lagrangian used to solve the free particle expansion problem?

In order to solve the free particle expansion problem, the Lagrangian is used to derive the equations of motion for the particle. This is done by applying the principle of least action, which states that the actual path of the particle is the one that minimizes the action, defined as the integral of the Lagrangian over time.

4. Can the Lagrangian be used for systems with multiple particles?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be extended to systems with multiple particles by considering all of the particles' positions and velocities in the equation. This allows for the dynamics of the entire system to be described using a single Lagrangian function.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian for a free particle expansion problem?

One limitation is that the Lagrangian approach assumes that the system is conservative, meaning that the total energy of the system remains constant. It also does not take into account any external forces acting on the particle. Additionally, the Lagrangian may not be suitable for certain complex systems with non-linear dynamics.