1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian for electromagnetism

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    In A. Zee's quantum field theory in a nutshell he assumes familiarity with Maxwell's lagrangian [itex]\mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}[/itex] where [itex]F_{\mu\nu} = \partial_\mu A_\nu - \partial_\nu A_\mu[/itex] with A the vector potential.

Although I've seen the magnetic vector potential, I've never seen the lagrangian formalism in either electrodynamics or lagrangian/hamiltonian dynamics courses.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a suitable reference to allow me to familiarise myself with this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

Srednicki's QFT book explains this. You can download it for free from his web site.
  4. Nov 19, 2007 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try chapter 12 in Griffiths, for a brief introduction into the field tensor and the four-vector potential. For an introduction to the lagrangian formalism in electrodynamics, try Goldstein's book on classical mechanics.
  5. Nov 20, 2007 #4
    I find Zee's notation a little bit confusing here. It seems like he is writing [itex]\partial_\mu[/itex] to mean [itex](\partial_t,\nabla)[/itex] and at the same time writing e.g. [itex]A_\mu = (V,-\mathbf{A})[/itex] and thus [itex]A^\mu = (V,\mathbf{A})[/itex]. Is this standard or am I misunderstanding his notation?

This is the only way I could get Maxwell's equations out of

[itex]F^{\mu\nu} = \partial^\mu A^\nu - \partial^\nu A^\mu[/itex].

[itex]F^{0i} = \partial^0 A^i - \partial^i A^0 = -E^i[/itex]. etc
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  6. Nov 20, 2007 #5
    After checking in another QFT text by Ryder it seems like this is indeed standard notation.
  7. Nov 20, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

yes, for [itex] \partial_\mu [/itex] the sign is opposite to the other vectors. That's because
    [tex] \partial_\mu \equiv \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu} [/tex]
  8. Jul 16, 2009 #7
    never mind I'll make my own topic
  9. Jul 16, 2009 #8

Homework Helper

The ultimate E&M reference: J. D. Jackson, "Classical Electrodynamics", 3rd ed., Chap. 12, Sec. 7.
    R. Shankar, "Principles of Quantum Mechanics", 2nd ed., Chap. 18, Sec. 5, Subsec. "Field Quantization".
    (more advanced) Peskin & Shroeder, "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory", Chap. 15.
  10. Jul 16, 2009 #9

Homework Helper

It is perhaps standard, but it is certainly just a convention. For example, in the "East Coast Metric" (η=diag(-1,+1,+1,+1)), that could be changed to [itex]A_\mu = (-V,\mathbf{A})[/itex], and for implicit metric: [itex]\partial_\mu=\partial^\mu=(\nabla,ic\partial_t)[/itex], [itex]A_\mu=A^\mu=(\mathbf{A},icV)[/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?