Lagrangian for electromagnetism

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of Maxwell's lagrangian in quantum field theory and the notation for the vector potential. Recommended references for further understanding include Srednicki's QFT book, Griffiths' book on electrodynamics, Goldstein's book on classical mechanics, and various texts on quantum field theory. It is noted that the notation for the vector potential may vary depending on the chosen convention.
jdstokes
In A. Zee's quantum field theory in a nutshell he assumes familiarity with Maxwell's lagrangian [itex]\mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}[/itex] where [itex]F_{\mu\nu} = \partial_\mu A_\nu - \partial_\nu A_\mu[/itex] with A the vector potential.

Although I've seen the magnetic vector potential, I've never seen the lagrangian formalism in either electrodynamics or lagrangian/hamiltonian dynamics courses.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a suitable reference to allow me to familiarise myself with this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Srednicki's QFT book explains this. You can download it for free from his web site.

Try chapter 12 in Griffiths, for a brief introduction into the field tensor and the four-vector potential. For an introduction to the lagrangian formalism in electrodynamics, try Goldstein's book on classical mechanics.

I find Zee's notation a little bit confusing here. It seems like he is writing [itex]\partial_\mu[/itex] to mean [itex](\partial_t,\nabla)[/itex] and at the same time writing e.g. [itex]A_\mu = (V,-\mathbf{A})[/itex] and thus [itex]A^\mu = (V,\mathbf{A})[/itex]. Is this standard or am I misunderstanding his notation?

This is the only way I could get Maxwell's equations out of

[itex]F^{\mu\nu} = \partial^\mu A^\nu - \partial^\nu A^\mu[/itex].

[itex]F^{0i} = \partial^0 A^i - \partial^i A^0 = -E^i[/itex]. etc

Last edited:
After checking in another QFT text by Ryder it seems like this is indeed standard notation.

jdstokes said:
I find Zee's notation a little bit confusing here. It seems like he is writing [itex]\partial_\mu[/itex] to mean [itex](\partial_t,\nabla)[/itex] and at the same time writing e.g. [itex]A_\mu = (V,-\mathbf{A})[/itex] and thus [itex]A^\mu = (V,\mathbf{A})[/itex]. Is this standard or am I misunderstanding his notation?

This is the only way I could get Maxwell's equations out of

[itex]F^{\mu\nu} = \partial^\mu A^\nu - \partial^\nu A^\mu[/itex].

[itex]F^{0i} = \partial^0 A^i - \partial^i A^0 = -E^i[/itex]. etc

yes, for [itex] \partial_\mu [/itex] the sign is opposite to the other vectors. That's because
[tex] \partial_\mu \equiv \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu} [/tex]

never mind I'll make my own topic

jdstokes said:
... familiarity with Maxwell's lagrangian [itex]\mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}[/itex] where [itex]F_{\mu\nu} = \partial_\mu A_\nu - \partial_\nu A_\mu[/itex] with A the vector potential.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a suitable reference to allow me to familiarise myself with this?
The ultimate E&M reference: J. D. Jackson, "Classical Electrodynamics", 3rd ed., Chap. 12, Sec. 7.
R. Shankar, "Principles of Quantum Mechanics", 2nd ed., Chap. 18, Sec. 5, Subsec. "Field Quantization".
(more advanced) Peskin & Shroeder, "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory", Chap. 15.

jdstokes said:
It is perhaps standard, but it is certainly just a convention. For example, in the "East Coast Metric" (η=diag(-1,+1,+1,+1)), that could be changed to [itex]A_\mu = (-V,\mathbf{A})[/itex], and for implicit metric: [itex]\partial_\mu=\partial^\mu=(\nabla,ic\partial_t)[/itex], [itex]A_\mu=A^\mu=(\mathbf{A},icV)[/itex].

1. What is the Lagrangian for electromagnetism?

The Lagrangian for electromagnetism is the mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of electric and magnetic fields. It is a function of the field strengths, their derivatives, and the charges and currents in the system. It is used in the Lagrangian formulation of classical mechanics to determine the equations of motion for electromagnetic systems.

2. How is the Lagrangian for electromagnetism derived?

The Lagrangian for electromagnetism is derived from the Lagrangian density, which is the integral of the Lagrangian over all space. The Lagrangian density is constructed using the Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and the Lorentz force law, which relates the fields to the motion of charged particles.

3. What are the advantages of using the Lagrangian for electromagnetism?

One of the main advantages of using the Lagrangian for electromagnetism is that it allows for a more elegant and concise formulation of the equations of motion compared to using the traditional approach of using the Maxwell's equations and the Lorentz force law separately. It also allows for a more systematic treatment of symmetries and conservation laws.

4. Can the Lagrangian for electromagnetism be extended to other physical systems?

Yes, the Lagrangian for electromagnetism can be extended to other physical systems, such as quantum electrodynamics, which describes the interactions between charged particles and electromagnetic fields at the quantum level. It can also be extended to include other fundamental forces, such as the weak and strong nuclear forces.

5. How is the Lagrangian for electromagnetism used in practical applications?

The Lagrangian for electromagnetism is used in a variety of practical applications, including the design of electrical and electronic devices, the development of new materials with specific electromagnetic properties, and the modeling of complex systems in physics and engineering. It is also used in theoretical studies to investigate the behavior of electromagnetic fields in extreme conditions, such as in black holes or during the early universe.