1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian gradient question

1. Mar 23, 2014 #1
    From the attached image problem:
    When deriving the third term in the Lagrangian:
    [itex]\lambda[/itex][itex]_{2}[/itex](w[itex]^{T}[/itex]∑w - [itex]\sigma[/itex][itex]^{2}_{\rho}[/itex]) with respect to w, are w[itex]^{T}[/itex] and w used like a w[itex]^{2}[/itex] to arrive at the gradient or am I oversimplifying and it just happens to work out on certain problems like this?

(∑ is an n x n symmetric covariance matrix and w is n x 1 vector)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The best way of avoiding errors, at least when you are starting, is to write it out in full:
    [tex] w^T \Sigma w = \sum_{i=1}^n \sum_{j=1}^n \sigma_{ij} w_i w_j
    = \sum_{i=1}^n \sigma_{ii} w_i^2 + 2 \sum_{i < j} \sigma_{ij} w_i w_j[/tex]

BTW: you don't need all those '[ itex]' tags: just enclose the whole expression between '[ itex]' and ' [/itex]' (although I prefer an opening '# #' (no space) followed by a closing '# #' (again, no space). Compare this: ##\lambda_2 (w^T \Sigma w - \sigma_{\rho}^2)## with what you wrote. (Press the quote button, as though you were composing a reply; that will show you the code. You can then just abandon the reply and not post it.)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted