Lagrangian Gradient Simplification

In summary, when deriving the third term in the Lagrangian, \lambda_{2}(w^{T}∑w - \sigma^{2}_{\rho}), with respect to w, the terms w^{T} and w are used as a w^{2} to arrive at the gradient. This method may not always work on certain problems, and it is recommended to write out the expression in full to avoid errors.
zmalone
From the attached image problem:
When deriving the third term in the Lagrangian:
[itex]\lambda[/itex][itex]_{2}[/itex](w[itex]^{T}[/itex]∑w - [itex]\sigma[/itex][itex]^{2}_{\rho}[/itex]) with respect to w, are w[itex]^{T}[/itex] and w used like a w[itex]^{2}[/itex] to arrive at the gradient or am I oversimplifying and it just happens to work out on certain problems like this?

(∑ is an n x n symmetric covariance matrix and w is n x 1 vector)

Attachments

• LinAlgQuestion1.jpg
    LinAlgQuestion1.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 374
Physics news on Phys.org
zmalone said:
From the attached image problem:
When deriving the third term in the Lagrangian:
[itex]\lambda[/itex][itex]_{2}[/itex](w[itex]^{T}[/itex]∑w - [itex]\sigma[/itex][itex]^{2}_{\rho}[/itex]) with respect to w, are w[itex]^{T}[/itex] and w used like a w[itex]^{2}[/itex] to arrive at the gradient or am I oversimplifying and it just happens to work out on certain problems like this?

(∑ is an n x n symmetric covariance matrix and w is n x 1 vector)

The best way of avoiding errors, at least when you are starting, is to write it out in full:
[tex] w^T \Sigma w = \sum_{i=1}^n \sum_{j=1}^n \sigma_{ij} w_i w_j
= \sum_{i=1}^n \sigma_{ii} w_i^2 + 2 \sum_{i < j} \sigma_{ij} w_i w_j[/tex]

BTW: you don't need all those '[ itex]' tags: just enclose the whole expression between '[ itex]' and ' [/itex]' (although I prefer an opening '# #' (no space) followed by a closing '# #' (again, no space). Compare this: ##\lambda_2 (w^T \Sigma w - \sigma_{\rho}^2)## with what you wrote. (Press the quote button, as though you were composing a reply; that will show you the code. You can then just abandon the reply and not post it.)

Last edited:

1. What is the Lagrangian gradient?

The Lagrangian gradient is a mathematical concept used in the field of fluid dynamics to describe the rate of change of a fluid property along a particle's path. It is a vector quantity that represents the direction and magnitude of the change in a property, such as velocity or temperature, at a specific point in space and time.

2. How is the Lagrangian gradient different from the Eulerian gradient?

The Eulerian gradient is a measure of the rate of change of a fluid property at a fixed point in space, while the Lagrangian gradient describes the change of a property along a particle's path. This means that the Lagrangian gradient takes into account the movement of particles, whereas the Eulerian gradient does not.

3. What is the significance of the Lagrangian gradient in fluid dynamics?

The Lagrangian gradient is an important tool for understanding the behavior of fluids in motion. It allows scientists to track the changes in fluid properties along a particle's path, which is crucial for studying phenomena such as turbulence and mixing. The Lagrangian gradient is also used in the development of numerical models for predicting fluid flow.

4. How is the Lagrangian gradient calculated?

The Lagrangian gradient is calculated using the chain rule of calculus. It involves taking the partial derivatives of the fluid property with respect to space and time, as well as the particle's position. The resulting vector is then multiplied by the particle's velocity to obtain the Lagrangian gradient.

5. Can the Lagrangian gradient be negative?

Yes, the Lagrangian gradient can be negative. This indicates that the fluid property is decreasing along the particle's path. For example, a negative Lagrangian gradient of temperature would mean that the temperature is decreasing as the particle moves through space and time. However, the magnitude and direction of the Lagrangian gradient can vary significantly depending on the specific fluid flow conditions and properties being analyzed.