1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian interpolation of sin(x) in Python

1. Jan 19, 2012 #1

xjx

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The polynomial pL(x) is known as Lagranges interpolation formula, and the points (x0; y0),
    . . . , (xn; yn) are called interpolation points. You will use Lagrange's interpolation formula to
    interpolate sin x over the range [0; 2pi]. Begin with n + 1 interpolation points evenly spaced
    in [0; 2pi]. Make a function Lagrange(x, points) that evaluates pL at the point x, given
    n+1 interpolation points as a two-dimensional array points, such that points[i,0] is the x
    coordinate of point number i and points[i,1] is the corresponding y coordinate. To verify
    the program, we observe that Lk(xk) = 1 and that Lk(xi) = 0 for i 6= k, implying that
    pL(xk) = yk. That is, the interpolation function should exactly match the original function
    at the interpolation points. Plot the original function sin x at the n+1 interpolation points,
    and connect those points with lines. Plot the interpolation function pL(x), and the error
    pL(x) - sin(x) with points on the same plot with di fferent colors and/or symbols for m
    evenly spaced points along x with x 2 [0; 2pi] and m >> n. Print the maximum magnitude
    of the error to messages. Describe how many points (n + 1) are needed to make the error
    less than 0.01 over the entire range. Does the maximum error keep decreasing for increasing
    n? At what n does the error seem to be minimum, and what is the minimum error? Why
    might the maximum error increase with higher n?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This is my current code in Python:

def problem_6_run(problem_6_n, problem_6_m, plot, messages, **kwargs):
    n = problem_6_n.value
    m = problem_6_m.value
    messages.write('\n=== PROBLEM 6 ==========================\n')
    x_n = np.linspace(0,2*math.pi,n+1)
    y_n = np.sin(x_n)
    points = np.column_stack((x_n,y_n))
    i = 0
    k = 1
    L_x = 1.0

def Lagrange(x, points):
    for i in n+1:
    for k in n+1:
    return L_x = (x- x_n[k] / x_n - x_n[k])
    return Lagrange = y_n * L_x

error = np.sin(x) - Lagrange
    max_error = 0
    if error > max_error
    max_error = error
    print.messages('Maximum error = &g' % max_error)
    plot.draw_lines(n+1,np.sin(x))
    plot.draw_points(m,Lagrange)
    plots.draw_points(m,error)

We execute the code in a GUI he designed, so things like "print.messages()" might be unique to that but they are correct. This is a computational physics class that assumes we have no prior programming experience. Since he was very specific in his instructions, I know I need to change the Lagrangian definition so that it is looping through the points array, but I'm not really sure how I can isolate only the x values in that array for the loop. The way I did it above doesn't seem to work, at least in part because I can't access the elements in the array by their index (which is what I wanted to do with things like x_n[k]).

I guess my main questions right now are: am I doing that indexing wrong or why isn't that working? Also, is there a way I can access only the vertical values in the array? I think my 'error' definition is also wrong, since that is probably also an array of points; do I need to make another loop to compare each element with the value of max_error?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted