Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian mechanics and planetary formation

1. Nov 16, 2015 #1
    I am disappointed by my graduate-level classical mechanics course, and especially the treatment of Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics. Now, I scanned my notes and some crazy idea popped into my head, further fueling my discontent towards this course, because all the problems covered in class were with time-independent masses, even central-force problems.

I picture a planet in its early stages of formation as a central-force system whose mass is time-dependent so that [itex]\dot{m}\neq 0[/itex], orbiting about its star under the effect of a central force. Is the problem actually tractable with Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics (even numerically) or would it require usage of Hamilton-Jacobi or Newtonian mechanics?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook