1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian Mechanics, Conservation of Momentum problem

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    Hello, I am just starting Lagrangian mechanics and on a conservation problem but I am stuck. I have part of the solution (i think) but I am not sure how to complete it.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In an infinite homogeneous plane. Find all the components of momentum and angular momentum that are conserved.

2. Relevant equations

Obviously there are:
    [tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} = f_i [/tex]
    [tex] p_i = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_i}[/tex]
    [tex] f_i = {\dot{p}_i}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I said that in the infinite homogeneous plane (in the xy plane) since the potential energy doesn't depend on x or y displacement alone these coordinates did not change the Lagrangian. Therefore:

[tex] L = L(x, y, z, \dot{x}, \dot{y}, \dot{z}) = L(x+e, y+e, z, \dot{x}, \dot{y}, \dot{z})[/tex]
    Where e is a change in the coordinates (I'm assuming you can displace them equally and still get back the Lagrangian. If I'm wrong please correct me) .

So since the Lagrangian is translationally invariant I said:

[tex] f_x = \frac{\partial L}{\partial x} = 0 =\dot{p}_x [/tex]

If [tex] \dot{p}_x = 0[/tex], the rate of change of the momentum in the x-direction is constant ( [tex] p_x = constant [/tex] ).

Likewise for the y-direction of momentum:

[tex] f_y = \frac{\partial L}{\partial y} = 0 =\dot{p}_y [/tex]
    [tex] p_y = constant [/tex]

Does this show, sufficently, mathematically that the x and y components of momentum are conserved?

My central difficulty is showing that, since the infinite homogeneous plane is centrally symmetric about the z-axis, show the z-component of angular momentum, M_z is conserved. I'm unclear on how to do that.

-Thanks

Edit: P.S. the reason I have trouble with the M_z comonent is because I think of it as M_z = x*p_y - y*p_x and since p_x and p_y are constant and the coordinates are invariant under translation that means M_z is constant. But I don't know if that right because it doesn't seem to make sense for the field of 2 points (whos like connecting them is on the z-axis). p_y and p_x are not conserved there. I don't know hwo to show this, or show it with a general Lagrangian like L = T - U or something.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?