1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian mechanics

1. Mar 8, 2005 #1
    Hi!
    I want to calculate the movement of the rod in the picture, but I don't know how to put up the Lagrangian for the problem.
    I have the Shear modulus, [tex]\mu[/tex], for the material and M>>m and [tex]\theta = 0[/tex]. I need the Lagrangian and from there on I think I can manage with the calculations myself.

Thanks

Attached Files:

• rod.jpg
      rod.jpg
      File size:
      5.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2005 #2
    Can you post the wording of the problem.

4. Mar 9, 2005 #3
    Well, I have come up with the problem myself.
    What I am trying to get is an equation for the motion of the rod, or cantilever if you will. My problem is that I am not sure how to relate the force influencing the heavy block the rod is attached to, to the rod.
    I think I need to make a connection between the Shear modulus, or the elasticity modulus of the material the rod and the block is made of to the force which is transferred to the rod.

I will settle for some help using usal mechanics on how the force is transferred from the block to the rod.

Thanks

5. Mar 11, 2005 #4
    Ok, let me refrase my question a bit.
    Can somebody tell me how the rod goes about to "sway" when a impulse is applied on the bigger block with mass M?
    If you know a book or a homepage, which you could refer me to for this problem, I would apperciate that as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?