1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Lagrangian of a particle + conserved quantities

1. May 12, 2010 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the spherical pendulum. In other words a particle with mass m constrained to move over the surface of a sphere of radius R, under the gravitational acceleration [tex]\vec g[/tex].
    1)Write the Lagrangian in spherical coordinates [tex](r, \phi, \theta)[/tex] and write the cyclical coordinates and conserved quantities.
    2)Define an effective potential energy [tex]U(\phi)[/tex] and determine (at least qualitatively) the allowed regions for the motion of the particle.
    2. Relevant equations

Lots of.

3. The attempt at a solution
    1)As the Lagrangian, I got [tex]L=\frac{m}{2}r^2 \left [ \dot \phi ^2 + \dot \theta ^2 \sin ^2 (\phi) \right ]+mgR \left [ 1- \cos (\theta) \right ][/tex]. Notice that [tex]\dot r=0[/tex].
    I can already say that the energy is conserved since the Lagrangian doesn't depend explicitly on time.
    I want to see if the linear momentum is conserved (is it stupid? I mean it seems obvious that no...)
    So [tex]\vec P=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \vec \dot q}[/tex]. For [tex]\dot q = \dot r[/tex], I get [tex]\vec P=\vec 0[/tex]. What does that mean? It's a constant. So the "r" component of the linear momentum is conserved? It doesn't make sense to me to say it under these words.
    I also reach [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \phi}=mR^2 \dot \phi[/tex]. And [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \theta}=m \dot \theta \sin ^2 (\phi)[/tex].
    Since the energy is conserved, I can apply Euler-Lagrange's equation. I get that [tex]\dot \phi =0[/tex] which makes sense to me. Thus [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \phi}=0[/tex] and so the [tex]\phi[/tex] component of the linear momentum is conserved. (Does this make sense to talk like this? What should I say instead? Maybe the angular momentum with respect to [tex]\phi[/tex]?).
    Lastly I found out that [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \theta}[/tex] is not necessarily constant (it is constant if the pendulum becomes the coplanar pendulum I believe) and thus the [tex]\theta[/tex] component of the linear momentum is not conserved.

I don't know what are the cyclical coordinates. I'll look into this further.
    2)I just opened Landau's book to check out the effective potential energy and it is [tex]\frac{M^2}{2m R^2}[/tex] which seems to assume 2 particles... in my exercise there's only a massless sphere and a particle. I'm no clue what to do here.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted