How can the constraint condition be used to define generalized coordinates?

In summary, we are finding the equations of motion and difference equations for a system of N electric dipoles using the Lagrangian method. We first define the Lagrangian of the system, taking into account the electrostatic potential, kinetic energy, and constraints. Then, we use Lagrange's equations to find the equations of motion. Finally, we use the difference equations to numerically solve for the positions of the dipoles over time.
intervoxel

Homework Statement

Build the lagrangian of a set of N electric dipoles of mass m, length l and charge q.
Find the equations of motion.
Find the corresponding difference equations.

Homework Equations

Lagrange function
[itex]L=T-V[/itex]

Lagrange's equations
[itex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x_k}}\right)-\frac{\partial L}{\partial x_k}=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Electrostatic potential
[itex]V=\sum\limits^{N/2}_{i=1} \frac{kq}{r_i}-\sum\limits^N_{i=N/2+1} \frac{kq}{r_i}[/itex]

Kinetic energy
[itex]T=\sum\limits^{N}_{i=1} \frac{1}{2}m\,v_i^2[/itex]

Constraints
[itex](r_j - r_i)-l^2=0[/itex]

The system has N/2 degrees of freedom. (?)

how the constraint condition defines the generalized coordinates?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lagrangian of the systemL=\sum\limits^{N}_{i=1}\frac{1}{2}m\,v_i^2-\sum\limits^{N/2}_{i=1}\frac{kq}{r_i}+\sum\limits^N_{i=N/2+1}\frac{kq}{r_i}+\lambda(r_j-r_i-l^2)Lagrange's equations \frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x_k}}\right)-\frac{\partial L}{\partial x_k}=0\frac{d}{dt} (m\dot{x_k}) - \frac{\partial V}{\partial x_k} - \lambda \frac{\partial (r_j-r_i-l^2)}{\partial x_k} = 0 Difference equationsx_{n+1}=x_n+\Delta t \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial x_k} + \lambda \frac{\partial (r_j-r_i-l^2)}{\partial x_k} \right)

1. What is the Lagrangian of a dipole set?

The Lagrangian of a dipole set is a mathematical expression that describes the kinetic and potential energies of a system of two charged particles (called a dipole) in an electric field. It is used in classical mechanics to analyze the motion of the dipole and can be derived from the principle of least action.

2. How is the Lagrangian of a dipole set calculated?

The Lagrangian of a dipole set is calculated by summing the kinetic and potential energies of the system. The kinetic energy is calculated using the masses and velocities of the particles, while the potential energy is calculated using the charge and distance between the particles, as well as the strength of the electric field.

3. What is the significance of the Lagrangian of a dipole set?

The Lagrangian of a dipole set is significant because it allows us to analyze the motion of the dipole in an electric field using the principles of classical mechanics. It provides a useful framework for understanding the dynamics of charged particles in electric fields and can be applied to a wide range of systems.

4. Can the Lagrangian of a dipole set be used for both point dipoles and extended dipoles?

Yes, the Lagrangian of a dipole set can be used for both point dipoles (where the distance between the particles is negligible compared to the size of the particles) and extended dipoles (where the distance between the particles is significant compared to the size of the particles). However, the calculations may be more complex for extended dipoles due to the additional factors involved.

5. What other applications does the Lagrangian of a dipole set have?

The Lagrangian of a dipole set has various applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of molecular dynamics, plasma physics, and electromagnetic radiation. It can also be extended to analyze more complex systems, such as multipole sets with multiple charged particles.