1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Lagrangian of double pendulum

1. May 23, 2016 #1
    Ok, I'm reading up on Lagrangian mechanics, and there is a problem that I don't really understand: the double pendulum (in this case, without a gravitational field). So, I want to take it step by step to make sure I understand all of it.

We've got a pendulum (1) with a weight mass m=1kg attached to a rod of length r=1m making an angle of θ with the vertical, and another identical pendulum (2) attached on the weight of pendulum (1), making an angle α with it. Transforming these coordinates to Cartesian ones, we get x(1)=sinθ, y(1)=cosθ and x(2)=sinθ+sin(α+θ) and y(2) = cosθ+cos(α+θ).

Ok. So far so good. Now I am supposed to compute the time derivatives of the Cartesian velocity components in terms of the angles to compute the kinetic energy. How exactly am I supposed to do that? Since there is no t in these, I can't directly find their time derivatives, unless I use the equations that describe the motions of pendulums that are already known, but aren't these wrong in the case of a double pendulum?

I know that the results I am supposed to get for the kinetic energies are these:

T1=(dθdt)^2/2

T2=((dθdt)^2+(dθdt+dαdt)^2)/2+(dθdt)*(dθdt+dαdt)*cosα

I just have no idea how to get them.

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2016 #2
    actually there is ##\alpha=\alpha(t),\quad \theta=\theta(t)##
    this is not a good manner: you deprive yourself from opportunity of using the dimensions of physics quantities to check your formulas

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  4. May 23, 2016 #3
    What I meant was that it's not explicitly shown. Of course there is, but I don't know what the value of the function α(t) is.

Well, I'm not the one who made the problem :)

5. May 23, 2016 #4
    Anyway, the question still stands, I still can't figure out what to do here.

6. May 23, 2016 #5
    Ok, I found the answer, here it is for anyone who might be interested:

Using the chain rule, we write say dx1/dt=sinθ as dθ/dt ⋅ d(sinθ)/dθ = dθ/dt ⋅ cosθ. If we plug this (and y1) into the equation for kinetic energy in this case (which is T1=(x^2+y^2)/2), and do some algebra, we eventually get the anticipated solution of T1=(dθ/dt)^2/2. It's the same thing for T2, only a bit more complicated. The point is that you're meant to apply the chain rule for derivatives.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted