1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian of electrodynamics

1. Apr 16, 2008 #1

haushofer

Science Advisor

Hi, I have a computational question which concerns forms. I want to compute the variation of the electrodynamic Lagrangian, seen here as an n-form:

[tex]L = -\frac{1}{2}F \wedge *F[/tex]

with F=dA. I want to derive the Noether-current from this Lagrangian. The symmetrytransformation we are concerned with are coordinatetransformations induced by Lie-derivatives acting on A. A general variation of L can be composed as

[tex]\delta L = E \cdot\delta A+ d\Theta[/tex]

where [tex]\Theta[/tex] are the boundary terms and E are the equations of motion for the vector potential A. If we now have a vector field [tex]\xi[/tex] we can construct the Noether current

[tex]
    \mathcal{J} \equiv \Theta -\xi\cdot L
    [/tex]

(where the dot indicates contraction with the first index of L) such that

[tex]d\mathcal{J} = - E\delta A[/tex]

If the equations of motion hold, then there can be a Noether charge Q such that

[tex] \mathcal{J} = dQ [/tex]

I want to verify this for the electrodynamic Lagrangian given above, and I have the suspicion that for this particular Lagrangian we can't construct this Q ( so that the current [tex]\mathcal{J}[/tex] isn't exact, but it should be closed). But I'm a little stuck with the calculation. A variation of L gives me

[tex] \delta L = -\frac{1}{2} (\delta F \wedge *F + F \wedge \delta *F)[/tex]

which can be worked out, with F=dA, as

[tex]
    \delta L = -\frac{1}{2}[d(\delta A \wedge *F) + \delta A \wedge d*F + F \wedge \delta *F ][/tex]

I'm interested in the A-field. I thought that

[tex]
    \delta * F = * \delta F + \frac{1}{2}(g^{\alpha\beta}\delta g_{\alpha\beta}) * F
    [/tex]

and the metric-part is going to give me the energy-momentum tensor of the electromagnetic field, which we can disregard. I recognize in this variation

[tex]
    \Theta = -\frac{1}{2}\delta A \wedge *F
    [/tex]

So I would say that my Noether current is given by

[tex]
    \mathcal{J} = -\frac{1}{2}\Bigr(\delta A - \xi\cdot F \Bigr)\wedge * F
    [/tex]

but if I take the exterior derivative of this, it doesn't give me the form I want; It's not exact if the equations of motion for A hold.

So my questions are :

1)what is the corresponding Noether current for the electrodynamic Lagrangian associated with diffeomorphism-invariance of the action?

2) Is this current exact?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2008 #2
    thanks.........................

4. May 14, 2008 #3
    hi

thanks..for all and i wait more...........

5. May 15, 2008 #4
    Try consulting Eguchi,Gilkey and Hanson:"Gravitation,gauge theories and differential geometry",Physics Reports,Vol.66,6,pp.213-393,December 1980.This is a nice handbook-style article that you may already be familiar with.

6. May 29, 2008 #5

haushofer

Science Advisor

Thanks for the advice ! A late reply, because I spend some time elsewhere :) I already solved this problem myself, but I will certainly take a glance at your article !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?