Find Lagrangian: Morin's Classical Mechanics Q6.10

In summary: It does give simple harmonic motion! Are you using the correct form of a Taylor series? You’ll only want the linear approximation:$$f(x_0+\Delta x) \approx f(x_0) + \frac{df(x)}{dx}\Bigg |_{x=x_0}\Delta x$$If you think you did this correctly then tell me how it looks for ##\cos(\theta_0 +...+ \ddot{\theta})##.In summary, Morin's Classical Mechanic teaches how to find Lagrangian, solve for equillarabium point, and
Abhishek11235
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
Q)6.10 in Morin's Classical Mechanic. All that I have to do is find Lagrangian here. After that only simple motion.

Finding Lagrangian:
Choose the coordinate system at the centre of hoop as shown in 2nd attachment. Then,I found out Lagrangian of the system. Invoking E-L Equations to find the equation of motion, I got equation like shown in 2nd attachment. After solving,I found out equillarabium point i.e ##\ddot \theta## =0. Then ,to find the motion about this point substitute $$\theta \arrow \theta_{0} +\delta$$ and I got equation like in 3rd attachment. Clearly this is not simple harmonic and I gave up.

So,I found out solution through my friend. He got simple harmonic motion by taking angle measuring from downwards verticle. So the change was just cos##\theta## appearance in third term and everything was same.

So my question: Why by choosing ##\theta## measuring from horizontal gives different result when measured from vertical?
IMG_20190125_083153_731.jpeg
1548387913959.jpeg
1548388426100.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_20190125_083153_731.jpeg
    IMG_20190125_083153_731.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 282
  • 1548387913959.jpeg
    1548387913959.jpeg
    29 KB · Views: 269
  • 1548388426100.jpeg
    1548388426100.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 271
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you derived is of the form ##\ddot d +Ad=B## where ##A## and ##B## are constants. Why is this not the harmonic oscillator equation? For a vertical spring-mass system the equation of motion is ##\ddot y +(k/m)y=mg##. Is the motion of a vertical spring-mass system not harmonic oscillations?

Abhishek11235 said:
So my question: Why by choosing ##\theta## measuring from horizontal gives different result when measured from vertical?
Of course, it shouldn’t. You must be making a small mistake somewhere.

You wrote ##\cos\theta = -m/M## but I’m pretty sure you meant ##\cos\theta_0 = -m/M##, for the equilibrium point, right?

Think about the equilibrium point from a Newtonian (forces) perspective, do you get the same answer?

You defined ##\theta## to be positive when it’s below the horizontal, right? (You could do it either way just be consistent.) So then does an increasing ##\theta## mean ##m## moves up or down? Does your potential energy term seem correct?
[Edit: I should’ve gone a step back; you said ##U_m = mgx_1## ... so larger x means larger potential energy? Is that right?:wink:]

Last edited:
kuruman said:
For a vertical spring-mass system the equation of motion is ##\ddot y +(k/m)y=mg##. Is the motion of a vertical spring-mass system not harmonic oscillations?
Such a system oscillates, but not about y=0.
“δ” is assumed small in their equation.

One more thing... you seem to be have replaced cosθ by the approximation ##\cos(\theta _0 + \delta) \approx 1 - \theta _0\delta - \theta _0^2## ??

That is very different than the Taylor series of cosine!

Hiero said:
Of course, it shouldn’t. You must be making a small mistake somewhere.

You wrote ##\cos\theta = -m/M## but I’m pretty sure you meant ##\cos\theta_0 = -m/M##, for the equilibrium point, right?

Think about the equilibrium point from a Newtonian (forces) perspective, do you get the same answer?

You defined ##\theta## to be positive when it’s below the horizontal, right? (You could do it either way just be consistent.) So then does an increasing ##\theta## mean ##m## moves up or down? Does your potential energy term seem correct?
[Edit: I should’ve gone a step back; you said ##U_m = mgx_1## ... so larger x means larger potential energy? Is that right?:wink:]
The increase in ##\theta## in negative direction is taken positive. Can you spot the mistake?

Abhishek11235 said:
The increase in ##\theta## in negative direction is taken positive. Can you spot the mistake?
I’ve already mentioned your two mistakes. One mistake is in your potential energy term (does ##U_m = mgx_1## make sense to you?) and the other mistake is your Taylor expansion of ##\cos(\theta_0 + \delta)## about ##\delta = 0##

Hiero said:
I’ve already mentioned your two mistakes. One mistake is in your potential energy term (does ##U_m = mgx_1## make sense to you?) and the other mistake is your Taylor expansion of ##\cos(\theta_0 + \delta)## about ##\delta = 0##
Ok. I rectified my mistake but still I didn't get solution. Taking zero of potential at centre of hoop, let h be distance of small mass from rope. In terms of string parameters, the height ##h= c+R\theta## where c is constant. The total potential energy is:
$$U= mgh -MgRsin\theta$$
So,E-L equations give:

$$(M+m)R^2\ddot\theta =Mgrcos\theta-mgR$$

Now,this is not simple harmonic even if we expand cos using Taylor's series.

Can you provide solution by taking the origin as I have taken?

Abhishek11235 said:
So,E-L equations give:

$$(M+m)R^2\ddot\theta =MgRcos\theta-mgR$$
Good! So then the equilibrium point is actually at ##\cos\theta_0 = m/M## which hopefully makes more sense! (If it was negative m/M, that would mean ##\theta_0## is greater than 90 degrees, and so tension and gravity would be in the same (tangential) direction and couldn’t cancel.)
Abhishek11235 said:
Now,this is not simple harmonic even if we expand cos using Taylor's series.
It does give simple harmonic motion! Are you using the correct form of a Taylor series? You’ll only want the linear approximation:
$$f(x_0+\Delta x) \approx f(x_0) + \frac{df(x)}{dx}\Bigg |_{x=x_0}\Delta x$$
If you think you did this correctly then tell me how it looks for ##\cos(\theta_0 + \delta)##

Hiero said:
Good! So then the equilibrium point is actually at ##\cos\theta_0 = m/M## which hopefully makes more sense! (If it was negative m/M, that would mean ##\theta_0## is greater than 90 degrees, and so tension and gravity would be in the same (tangential) direction and couldn’t cancel.)

It does give simple harmonic motion! Are you using the correct form of a Taylor series? You’ll only want the linear approximation:
$$f(x_0+\Delta x) \approx f(x_0) + \frac{df(x)}{dx}\Bigg |_{x=x_0}\Delta x$$
If you think you did this correctly then tell me how it looks for ##\cos(\theta_0 + \delta)##
Thanks for the support. I got the answer

1. What is a Lagrangian in classical mechanics?

A Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system in terms of its position and velocity at a given time. It is used in the Lagrangian formalism of classical mechanics to derive the equations of motion for a system.

2. How do you find the Lagrangian for a system?

The Lagrangian for a system can be found by identifying the kinetic and potential energy of the system and then using the Lagrangian equation: L = T - V, where L is the Lagrangian, T is the kinetic energy, and V is the potential energy. The variables in the Lagrangian function should be expressed in terms of the generalized coordinates and their derivatives.

3. What is Morin's Classical Mechanics Q6.10?

Morin's Classical Mechanics Q6.10 is a specific problem in classical mechanics that involves finding the Lagrangian for a system of three masses connected by springs. It is a commonly used example to demonstrate the application of the Lagrangian formalism in solving problems in classical mechanics.

4. What are the steps to solve Morin's Classical Mechanics Q6.10?

The steps to solve Morin's Classical Mechanics Q6.10 are as follows:1. Identify the generalized coordinates and their derivatives for the system2. Determine the kinetic and potential energy of the system3. Use the Lagrangian equation L = T - V to find the Lagrangian4. Apply the Euler-Lagrange equations to find the equations of motion for the system5. Solve the equations of motion to find the positions and velocities of the masses at any given time.

5. Why is finding the Lagrangian useful in classical mechanics?

Finding the Lagrangian is useful in classical mechanics because it simplifies the process of deriving the equations of motion for a system. It allows for a more elegant and unified approach to solving problems in classical mechanics, as well as providing a better understanding of the underlying principles and symmetries of the system.