QCD Lagrangian: Multiplying 4x4 and 1x3 Matrices

In summary, the quark field q in the QCD lagrangian has a 4x4 matrix multiplied by a gamma matrix and a q bar, which also has a color index. The gamma matrices contract with the spinor index of q, while the color indices of q and qbar are contracted with each other and with the T^a matrices for interaction with the gluon field. The q's are 4-spinors with an additional color index, while the A's are 4-vectors with an additional color index or index pair. Flavor indices are also included for the interaction term, making the kinetic energy and gluon-interaction flavor-neutral.
yola
Hello,
In the lagrangian of QCD, there is q which is the quark field and it is the fundamental representation of SU(3). This q is multiplied by a gamma matrix and a q bar. So, how can we have a 4x4 matrix multiplying 1x3 matrix?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
q has not only a color index, but also a dirac spinor index. It is the spinor index that the gamma matrices contract. The color indices of q and qbar are contracted with each other for the spatial derivative term, and contracted with the T^a for the interaction with the gluon field term.

[tex]\bar{q} \gamma^\mu A_\mu q = \bar{q}_{i\alpha} \left(\gamma^\mu)^{\alpha\beta} \left(A_\mu\right)_{ik} q_{k\beta} = \bar{q}_{i\alpha} \left(\gamma^\mu)^{\alpha\beta} A^a_\mu \left(T^a\right)_{ik} q_{k\beta}[/tex]

So the q's are 4-spinors (greek indices) with an additional color index i=1..3, the A's are 4-vectors with an additional color index a (in the adjoint rep. i.e. a=1..8) or an additional color-index pair ik=1..3.

Indices for flavor should be included as well, so that the gauge field has 3 types of indices.

OK, let's do that for the interaction term using f as the flavor index ...

[tex]\bar{q} \gamma^\mu A_\mu q = \bar{q}_{i\alpha f} \left(\gamma^\mu)^{\alpha\beta} \left(A_\mu\right)_{ik} q_{k\beta f} = \bar{q}_{i\alpha f} \left(\gamma^\mu)^{\alpha\beta} A^a_\mu \left(T^a\right)_{ik} q_{k\beta f}[/tex]

... which means that the kinetic energy (which haven't written down here) and the gluon-interaction is flavor-neutral.

1. What is the QCD Lagrangian?

The QCD Lagrangian is a mathematical formula used in the study of quantum chromodynamics (QCD), which is the theory that describes the strong nuclear force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature. It is used to calculate the interactions between quarks and gluons, the building blocks of protons and neutrons.

2. What is the significance of multiplying 4x4 and 1x3 matrices in the QCD Lagrangian?

Multiplying 4x4 and 1x3 matrices in the QCD Lagrangian is significant because it represents the interactions between quarks and gluons. The 4x4 matrix represents the four possible combinations of quark flavors (up, down, charm, and strange) and the 1x3 matrix represents the three possible colors (red, green, and blue) of the gluon.

3. How is the QCD Lagrangian used in research and experiments?

The QCD Lagrangian is used to make predictions about the behavior of subatomic particles, such as quarks and gluons, in high-energy experiments. It is also used in theoretical research to better understand the nature of the strong nuclear force and its role in the structure of matter.

4. What are the limitations of the QCD Lagrangian?

One of the main limitations of the QCD Lagrangian is that it only applies to strong interactions at high energies. At low energies, the theory becomes more complex and difficult to calculate. Additionally, the QCD Lagrangian does not account for the effects of gravity, which is described by the theory of general relativity.

5. How does the QCD Lagrangian relate to other fundamental forces?

The QCD Lagrangian is part of the Standard Model of particle physics, which also includes the theories of electromagnetism and the weak nuclear force. These three forces are unified at high energies, but at low energies, they are described separately. The QCD Lagrangian plays a crucial role in understanding the strong nuclear force, which is the strongest of the four fundamental forces.