Charged Scalar Field Lagrangian Problem: Hawking, Ellis

• Thread starter Nikos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangian
In summary, the conversation discusses the Lagrangian for a charged scalar field and the difficulty in varying Aa on the Lagrangian. The results from the book and the calculations done by one of the speakers are compared and found to be the same. The speaker suggests looking into a quantum field theory book for a flat space version. Another speaker points out that there should not be a 1/2 term in the Lagrangian and provides the action for SED in flat spacetime.
Nikos
Hi,there! Here is the lagrangian for a charged scalar field http://www.photodump.com/direct/Bbking22/P-meson-Lagrangian.jpg as it can be found in “the large scale structure of space-time” Hawking, Ellis on page 68. It seem’s that I have problem varying Aa on the lagrangian because I get http://www.photodump.com/direct/Bbking22/P-meson-Myresult.jpg , while the result of the book is http://www.photodump.com/direct/Bbking22/P-meson-AmVar.jpg . Does anyone have the same problem? Does anyone gets the book’s result? Thanks for the help. Here are all the results for this example http://www.photodump.com/direct/Bbking22/Example3.jpg .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I seem to get the same result as you. Below are my calculations, which I have done in flat so that I could use familiar notation. I haven't checked my calculations very closely, so I could easily have made a mistake.

Have you looked in a quantum field theory book? Almost all books should include a flat space version of this. I don't have any physics books with me right now, so I can't check.

Regards,
George

[tex]
L=-\frac{1}{2}\left( \partial_{a}\psi+ieA_{a}\psi\right) g^{ab}\left(
\partial_{b}\overline{\psi}-ieA_{b}\overline{\psi}\right) -\frac{1}{2}
\frac{m^{2}}{\hbar^{2}}\psi\overline{\psi}-\frac{1}{16\pi}F_{ab}F_{cd}
g^{ac}g^{bd}
[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\frac{\partial L}{\partial A_{f}} & =-\frac{1}{2}ie\delta_{a}^{f}\psi
g^{ab}\left( \partial_{b}\overline{\psi}-ieA_{b}\overline{\psi}\right)
+\frac{1}{2}\left( \partial_{a}\psi+ieA_{a}\psi\right) g^{ab}ie\delta
_{b}^{f}\overline{\psi}\\
& =-\frac{1}{2}ie\psi g^{fb}\left( \partial_{b}\overline{\psi}-ieA_{b}
\overline{\psi}\right) +\frac{1}{2}\left( \partial_{a}\psi+ieA_{a}
\psi\right) g^{af}ie\overline{\psi}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\frac{\partial L}{\partial\left( \partial_{n}A_{f}\right) } & =-\frac
{1}{16\pi}\left[ \frac{\partial F_{ab}}{\partial\left( \partial_{n}
A_{f}\right) }F_{cd}+F_{ab}\frac{\partial F_{cd}}{\partial\left(
\partial_{n}A_{f}\right) }\right] g^{ac}g^{bd}\\
& =-\frac{1}{16\pi}\left[ \frac{\partial}{\partial\left( \partial_{n}
A_{f}\right) }\left( \partial_{a}A_{b}-\partial_{b}A_{a}\right)
F_{cd}+F_{ab}\frac{\partial}{\partial\left( \partial_{n}A_{f}\right)
}\left( \partial_{c}A_{d}-\partial_{d}A_{c}\right) \right] g^{ac}g^{bd}\\
& =-\frac{1}{16\pi}\left[ \left( \delta_{a}^{n}\delta_{b}^{f}-\delta_{b}
^{n}\delta_{a}^{f}\right) F_{cd}+F_{ab}\left( \delta_{c}^{n}\delta_{d}
^{f}-\delta_{d}^{n}\delta_{c}^{f}\right) \right] g^{ac}g^{bd}\\
& =-\frac{1}{16\pi}\left[ \left( g^{nc}g^{fd}-g^{fc}g^{nd}\right)
F_{cd}+F_{ab}\left( g^{an}g^{bf}-g^{af}g^{bn}\right) \right] \\
& =-\frac{1}{16\pi}\left[ F^{nf}-F^{fn}+F^{nf}-F^{fn}\right] \\
& =-\frac{1}{4\pi}F^{nf}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{align*}
0 & =\frac{\partial L}{\partial A_{f}}-\partial_{n}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\left(
\partial_{n}A_{f}\right) }\\
& =-\frac{1}{2}ie\psi\left( \partial^{f}\overline{\psi}-ieA^{f}\overline
{\psi}\right) +\frac{1}{2}\left( \partial^{f}\psi+ieA^{f}\psi\right)
ie\overline{\psi}+\frac{1}{4\pi}\partial_{n}F^{nf}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Thank you very much George!

There's no 1/2 in the lagrangian in the first place. For SED in flat spacetime one has the action

[tex] S^{SED}\left[A_{\mu},\phi,\phi^{*}\right]= \int \ d^{4}x \ \left[\left(D^{\mu}\phi\right)\left(D_{\mu}\phi\right)^{*} -\frac{1}{4} F^{\mu\nu}F_{\mu\nu}-\mu^{2}\phi\phi^{*}\right] [/tex]

Daniel.

What is a charged scalar field?

A charged scalar field is a type of field in physics that describes particles with spin 0 and an electric charge. It is represented by a complex-valued function, and it plays a crucial role in theories such as quantum electrodynamics and the Standard Model.

What is the Lagrangian problem in relation to a charged scalar field?

The Lagrangian problem refers to the task of finding the Lagrangian, which is a mathematical function that summarizes the dynamics of a physical system. In the case of a charged scalar field, the Lagrangian is a function of the field itself and its derivatives, and it contains all the information needed to describe the behavior of the system.

Who are Hawking and Ellis?

Stephen Hawking and George Ellis are renowned physicists who have made significant contributions to the study of general relativity and cosmology. They co-authored the book "The Large Scale Structure of Space-Time", which is considered a classic in the field.

What is the significance of the Hawking-Ellis theorem?

The Hawking-Ellis theorem is a mathematical proof that states that, under certain conditions, the universe must have a singularity in its past. This theorem has important implications for our understanding of the Big Bang and the evolution of the universe.

How is the charged scalar field Lagrangian problem related to black holes?

The charged scalar field Lagrangian problem is relevant to black holes because it can be used to study the dynamics of charged scalar fields in the presence of a black hole. This allows us to better understand the behavior of matter and energy near the event horizon of a black hole.