1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian problem

1. Mar 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Mass m is connected to a string and is being whirled in a circle in a horizontal plane of a table. The string passes through a hole in the center of the circle and is being pulled with a constant velocity V starting at t=0 so the radius decreases. Initially the mass is at a distance r0 from the hole and is revolving with angular speed [tex]\omega_0[/tex]. Use Lagranges equations and Lagrange multipliers to find then tension in the string as a function of time.

2. Relevant equations

I have attempted to write down the Lagrangian with the lagrange multipliers but i am not sure it is correct.
    what i have is that the speed of the mass is given by:
    [tex]v=r\omega = r\dot{\theta}[/tex] and i have that r = r0 - Vt so [tex]v=(r_0-Vt)\dot{\theta}[/tex]
    Using this in 1/2mv^2 for the Lagrangian along with the constraint r-r0+Vt=0 my Lagrangian with lagrange multiplier was this:
    [tex]\frac{m}{2}(r_0^2-2r_0Vt + V^2t^2)\dot{\theta}^2 + \lambda(r-r_0+Vt)=L[/tex]
    and when doing the derivative [tex]\frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{\dot{r}}}[/tex] i have this is the partial with respect to V. is this correct? then i would solve for lambda and this would be my force of tension?
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?