Solving Lagrangian Question: Find p, Lagrange's Eq., v as fn of P and r

• Thread starter Maybe_Memorie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangian
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a relativistic particle in D-dimensional space interacting with a central potential field. The goal is to find the momentum as a function of velocity, Lagrange's equations of motion, and the velocity as a function of position and momentum. Other topics discussed include the transformation of coordinates and momenta under an infinitesimal rotation in the x2x4-plane. Some confusion arises but ultimately it is determined that the formula xi -> xi + εijxj for the coordinates and Pi -> Pi + εijPj for the momenta is correct.
Maybe_Memorie

Homework Statement

Right I've got a relativistic particle in D dimensional space interacting with a central potential field. Writing out the entire lagrangian is a bit complicated on this but I'm sure you all know the L for a free relativistic particle. The potential term is Ae-br where r is the position vector.

(i) Find the momentum p as a function of the velocity v.

(ii) Find Lagrange's equations of motion for the particle.

(iii) Find the velocity v as a function of P and r.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) That would be mvi/root(1 - v2/c2)

(ii) ∂L/∂xi = d/dt(∂L/∂vi) , Pi = ∂L/∂vi

So dPi/dt = Abe-brxi/r

(iii) This is the part I'm having a problem with.

I have that v2 = P2c2/(m2c2 + P2) But I have no idea how to get r into the equation.

Advice please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Maybe_Memorie! :smile:

Did you know that f(x,y)=g(x) for any y, is not only a function of x and y, but also a function of x?

Yeah... I know, it sounds a bit lame, but it's true nonetheless.

Hey I Like Serena!

So are you saying that since I need to find V(r,p), my answer as a function of p is also a function of r for all r?

Yes. I believe that you have v(r,p)=v(p).
It's fairly typical that p and v are independent of position in potential fields.

So my answer is correct then?

Also I have another question.

How do the coordinates xi and momenta Pi transform under an infinitesimal rotation in the x2x4-plane?

Well, under this transformation, I know that xi, i not equal to 2 or 4 will just go to xi. In other words, invariant.

If i = 2,4, then xi -> xi + εijxj where εij is an infinitesimal parametrisation of the rotation.

Same for Pi. Is this correct?

Maybe_Memorie said:
So my answer is correct then?

I believe so.

How do the coordinates xi and momenta Pi transform under an infinitesimal rotation in the x2x4-plane?

Well, under this transformation, I know that xi, i not equal to 2 or 4 will just go to xi. In other words, invariant.

If i = 2,4, then xi -> xi + εijxj where εij is an infinitesimal parametrisation of the rotation.

Do you have a reasoning to support that?

I like Serena said:
Do you have a reasoning to support that?

Well for my first statement I'm just imagining a three dimensional coordinate system. It's clear to see that then when you rotate the x-y plane the z axis will remain unchanged.

But if I need to be more rigorous, if I take my other statement of xi -> xi + εijxj which I know to be true since it was proved in class, we will have in this case xi -> xi + εjkxk and the second term just wouldn't make sense, so it would be zero.

So I guess in general xi -> xi + δijεjkxk where δij is the kronecker delta.

Seems like a very badly worded question :frown:

eg. presumably r is the length of the position vector.

Bearing in mind the spherical symmetry of the problem, it would make more sense if they asked for say the speed of the particle as a function of r.

Maybe_Memorie said:

I would use the matrix
[tex]\epsilon_{1i3j567...}[/tex]
to generate this rotation, where ε is the completely antisymmetric symbol. Note that the i and the j go in places 2 and 4.

Okay, well... did you figure it out?

phd081512s.gif

I'm not sure if my argument 3 posts up is correct or not. It makes sense to me, but I'm not sure if it's right.

Any kind of point in the right direction?

Maybe_Memorie said:
Well for my first statement I'm just imagining a three dimensional coordinate system. It's clear to see that then when you rotate the x-y plane the z axis will remain unchanged.

But if I need to be more rigorous, if I take my other statement of xi -> xi + εijxj which I know to be true since it was proved in class, we will have in this case xi -> xi + εjkxk and the second term just wouldn't make sense, so it would be zero.

I think that wouldn't make sense simply because the indices don't match up.

So I guess in general xi -> xi + δijεjkxk where δij is the kronecker delta.

When you sum over j, you're back to where you started, no?

But I can heartily recommend the matrix I suggested 3 posts back :smile:

Maybe_Memorie said:

x and P are vectors.
Vectors themselves are independent of coordinate system.
It's only their representation into coordinates that depends on a coordinate system.

If you have a formula to represent the vector x in coordinates xi, or rather a formula to transform its coordinates to another coordinate system (as you do), then that exact same formula applies to represent the vector P in coordinates of the same coordinate system.

So yes, you are correct.

1. What is Lagrange's equation?

Lagrange's equation is a mathematical formula used to solve problems in classical mechanics, specifically those involving the motion of particles or systems of particles. It is based on the principle of stationary action, which states that the path a system takes between two points in space is the one that minimizes the action, or the integral of the Lagrangian function.

2. How do you find p in a Lagrangian problem?

To find p in a Lagrangian problem, you can use Lagrange's equation, which states that the time derivative of the Lagrangian function with respect to the generalized momentum p is equal to the negative of the partial derivative of the Lagrangian function with respect to the corresponding generalized coordinate q. In other words, p can be found by taking the partial derivative of the Lagrangian function with respect to q and then solving for p.

3. What is the relationship between p and r in a Lagrangian problem?

In a Lagrangian problem, p and r are related through the Lagrangian function, which is a function of both p and r. The Lagrangian function represents the total kinetic and potential energy of the system, and it is used to derive the equations of motion for the system. Specifically, p and r are related through the partial derivative of the Lagrangian function with respect to p.

4. How do you express velocity as a function of p and r in a Lagrangian problem?

In a Lagrangian problem, the velocity of a particle or system of particles can be expressed as a function of p and r using the Lagrange's equation. By taking the partial derivative of the Lagrangian function with respect to p and setting it equal to the time derivative of r, you can solve for the velocity as a function of p and r.

5. What are the applications of solving Lagrangian problems?

Solving Lagrangian problems has many applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used to analyze the motion of particles or systems of particles in classical mechanics, such as in celestial mechanics, rigid body dynamics, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in the development of mathematical models for physical systems and in the design and optimization of complex systems, such as spacecraft and robots.