1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian with one constraint

1. Jun 27, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I have the functional

J = ∫ L(ψ, r, r') dψ, where r'=dr/dψ. L is written in polar coordinates (r,ψ).

Now I want to constrain the motion to take place on the polar curve r = r(ψ). Can I write the constrained lagrangian as

Lc=L(ψ, r, r') - λ(r - r(ψ)) and then solve the Euler-Lagrange equation

Does this make sense?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should probably call the curve something else, like ##\rho(\psi)##. But yes, you should be able to do that, the extra ##\lambda(r - \rho)## term will give you a generalized force constraining the object to the curve.

4. Jun 27, 2013 #3
    Thanks CompuChip...
    Along these lines - say, the Lagrangian is, as agreed, Lc = L(a, ψ, r, r') - λ(r - f(ψ))
    where r=f(ψ) is the constraint and "a" is a parameter.

The question is - I know that when imposing the constraint, it so happens that a = a(r). I mean, "a" becomes a function of r under the imposed constraint.

This is a challenge... Do I write

Lc = L(a(r), ψ, r, r') - λ(r - f(ψ)) and then solve the Euler-Largange eq.; or do I solve the E-L eq. and not worry about a(r)??? It's a puzzle. Would you or someone know?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook